cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Multiple vs Single Vaults

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Multiple vs Single Vaults

When the admin set up PDMLink here, he configured it to use multiple vaults. We have vaults for Product parts, Library parts and Library documents and a couple of others. Moving forward, we are planning on converting from Oracle to SQLServer when we upgrade to WC10.

In our environment, single site, secured network, single product, is there an advantage to using multiple vaults? I haven't seen one and converting over would eliminate the headache of vaulting rules that we now have. I have no need to track disk storage space or segregate classified data.

I have seen the instructions in the System Administrator's Guide on how to convert from multiple vaults to a single vault. They look straight forward enough, though it may take time with over 1.25 million files in our vaults.

Should I: 1) continue as we are, or 2) convert to a single vault? Opinions and reasoning would be appreciated. If I get enough replies I will summarize.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli

USEC, INC.
6 REPLIES 6

I think the argument for multiple vaults is the MTR or Mean Time to Recovery. If the admin only needs to recover a smaller vault then the system will be back up and running much faster versus recovering a single large vault.

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | o: 616.698.3766 | c: 616.947.2110
[cid:image001.jpg@01CCE0C8.29C2E020]

We've been operating for 5 years now. Total vaulted content is approaching 4 TB.

We have only 1 logical vault and no vaulting rules - but many OS folders. Seems that you can pretty much ignore the vaulting rules and related hassles.
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:BenLoosli)

But if the single or multiple vaults are all in a single RAID physical disk setting, you have to restore it all anyway.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

A good business reason to store data in separate vaults is to easily be able to spin off a business unit. This can be configured per product. We are also using this for remote mastering and predictive replication, new in 9.1. TRW has offices around the world and not all have excellent network connections. To enable around the sun development same servers also have replica vaults. Our cluster is not the only home to data. No reason to store it there.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:BenLoosli)

I can see that if I had multiple sites. I am a dedicated site, will never be spun off and in a secure environment with NO internet access to those servers or data vaults.

We are planning on migrating from Oracle to SQLServer when we go to WC10.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

Backup and more control on the data stored in vaults are the two important
reasons that I can think of.

Mayur

Top Tags