cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Need to select a Reliable Windchill version

jli-5
3-Visitor

Need to select a Reliable Windchill version

Dear Windchill Gurus,

Our company is going to consolidate the old Windchill 10.1 on Linux and Windchill 9.1 on windows server to a consolidated platform.  But we need to choose between staying with the 10.1 with the latest Maintenance build or a higher version.

Is there a reliable version with good customer satisfaction rate so far after 10.1?   I heard the Cloud solution is not that good.

Thanks!

Jerry

8 REPLIES 8
BineshKumar1
12-Amethyst
(To:jli-5)

Hi Jerry,

As you know, when it comes to software reliability , we can't say any version is completely reliability. There is always a reverse bathtub curve with intermittent increase in failure rates with updates, upgrades and patches in software and hardware platforms. That being said, PTC release two major releases after 10.1 - 10.2 & 11. 10.2  came out approximately 4 years ago and Sep 2018 as extended support end date.  So I don't think it is not a great idea to do go to 10.2 now.

Windchill 11 was released in Dec 2015, with M030 release expected in June 2017. Even for M020, CPS release is at CPS10. There are some pretty  large PTC customers with extensive user base already in Windchill 11. Given all that, if you ask me I think it is pretty safe(okay let's say almost safe) to go to Windchill 11, even if you don't weigh in all the new functionalities.

With cloud offering, I think PTC is leveraging AWS. As you know, AWS is a market leader with more than one third of market share. So from a technology perspective cloud cannot go bad, but again it depends on your network infrastructure, level of support and so on. One thing we can say is, the cloud offering has come long way from the age of NETIDEAS.

Hi Binesh,

Good day!

Just want to make sure that your suggestion of "I don't think it is not a great idea to do go to 10.2 now." means that you think it is a great idea to go with 10.2, right?

Our company had a long history of using Windchill/Creo, after many times of split-merge, it now ends up 2 separate Windchill/Creo at 2 major sites.  US Site is using Windchill 9.1 M070 with Creo 2.0 M120, Europe Site is using Windchill 10.1  with Creo 2.0 M050, and we want to merge these 2 Windchill to One System, that means we will also need to merge all the File Vaults and DBs, at this stage we are not sure if this is possible to be achieved.

Here are the particular areas that are unknown and challenging:

1. The migration path: Windchill 9.1(Windows) to Windchill 10.2(Linux) or 11 (thank you for the info: https://community.ptc.com/t5/Windchill/How-to-move-Windchill-on-Windows-server-to-Linux/m-p/277581#476126

2. Migration steps: Migrate Windchill 9.1 first and then Merge Windchill 10.1 or vice versa

3. DB conflicts during merging [US DB and Europe DB]

4. File vaults conflict during merging [US File vaults(180G)and Europe File Vaults(300G)]

5. LDAP (US Windchill using Local and Europe Windchill using company LDAP server)

BineshKumar1
12-Amethyst

I am sorry for the typo, I can't edit my response what I meant is - "I don't think it is a great idea to do go to 10.2 now."

Looks like a good use case for using Bulk Migrator. Did you look a that?

Hi Binesh,

Seems this is what we are looking for, I will do some research on WBM first.  The final target version would be determined by our R&D committee, most likely it will also be a staging approach, e.g. Migrate and Merge to Windchill 10.2 M030 and before Sep 2018, migrate to the latest Windchill 11.

Thank you for your guide.

Jerry

Hi Binesh,

Do you know if there is any Data Validation tool to make sure the consistency of the data after migration?

BineshKumar1
12-Amethyst

‌Hi Jerry,

I would strongly  recommended running WinDu. As this will report any obvious database integrity issues. As for the accuracy of the data, most followed approach is to take a sample size from the population and perform validation against it. The sample size depends on population size, confidence target and confidenxe interval. Certain type of businesses are regulated, has to be within certain confidence range. There are some online calculators available for this

Cheers

Binesh

Binesh,

Can any licensed Windchill user obtain the Windchill Bulk Migrator tool?  If so, do you have a download link from the PTC site?

Barry Schaeffer

To access the PTC Download page you will need a PTC user account associated with a Company (with active maintenance and that software).

To download WCH Bulk Migrator: CS55237

Top Tags