cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Oracle Licensing on Development Environments

GaryMansell
6-Contributor

Oracle Licensing on Development Environments

Hi,

I was wondering what others were doing about Oracle licensing within their Windchill Development environments...

Our Oracle Sales guy says that we have to pay to use Oracle Std Edition One in our DEV VM's which seems wrong to me, therelevant part of the Oracle SE One license is here:

We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use the programs only for the purpose of developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating your application, and not for any other purpose. If you use the application you develop under this license for any internal data processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or you want to use the programs for any purpose other than as permitted under this agreement, you must obtain a production release version of the program by contacting us or an Oracle reseller to obtain the appropriate license. You acknowledge that we may not produce a production release version of the program and any development efforts undertaken by you are at your own risk. We may audit your use of the programs. Program documentation, if available, may accessed online at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/indexes/documentation/index.html.

The way I read the statement is that you can use a free developer license on a developer machine as long as the installation of Oracle on the developer machine is not used for commercial/production use, which it won’t be as the developer is just using it to write code and he is the only one accessing the Oracle installation on the machine. The code is then copied to our Production server (which does have a paid license) and is used in a commercial/production manner on this system instead.

But it seems our Oracle guy does not agree - what do others do, do you use Oracle XE on your DEV machines with the DB name and size restrictions that come with it?

Rgds

Gary

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements

Top Tags