cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Organise new and modified products

dgarcia
11-Garnet

Organise new and modified products

Hello all

We would like to have a team of designers for new products and another one for modifications of those products once they are mature. Change Management responsibilities would also be different.

I see 2 possibilities:

1. One context, everybody has access to everything
    • Pro: easy to configure
    • Con: everybody has access to areas they should not
    • Con: Change Management tasks sent to everybody and they have to decide if they have to act or not
  2. Two contexts. Move mature objects from one context to the other
    • Pro: correct permission to modify
    • Pro: correct Change Management roles
    • Con: manual work to move thing from one context to the other

What do you think?

2 REPLIES 2
STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:dgarcia)

Having 2 context is more work.  We have only 1 context no matter how old the product is.  You can have different rights.  Not everyone will have access if you don't want them to.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:dgarcia)

Ideally, manage this by state, so that there is no need to consider contexts or moving.

If for example, you use numbered Revisions for prototype / development work, and letters for production, then the following major benefits result:

- Allow all users to Revise at the state used for numbered Revision

- Allow only the users who are authorized to work on production data to Revise from the state used for lettered Revisions.

A simple 2-dimensional grid-type diagram helps greatly on this, with the axes of the diagram being state across the bottom and Revisions vertically, with arrows showing the transitions.  Note: All the PTC diagrams on this are one-dimension, including all the training.

Top Tags