cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

PDMLink Oracle Table listings

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

PDMLink Oracle Table listings

Does anyone have a document that lists the Oracle tables and other items in Oracle that Windchill uses with a description of what each record in the table is used for?

I know it would not be a small document as there are over 900 tables in PDMLink and they vary in size.

If someone has already done this, it save others from having to do the same work again.

If the number of tables changes with different versions, that would be useful information, too.

I am on Windchill/PDMLink 10.0m050 and am looking at 10.2m030.

6 REPLIES 6
BenPerry
13-Aquamarine
(To:BenLoosli)

Ben Loosli‌,

It is unfortunate that nobody responded to this message yet.  I was hoping that someone would.  The Windchill database is certainly a complex one.

Some type of document - if it is not supplied by PTC - would surely need collaborative input from multple people.  I also don't know of a good format for such document.  Visually it would be a spider web.

That being said, I would surely enjoy adding pieces to the puzzle that I've figured out over the years.  Hopefully this bumps the conversation and gets someone interested in creating some type of document.  An idea I have in the back of my mind is something that can zoom in & out like the presentation software Prezi‌.  But that looks like it costs money.

Ben Perry‌, your answer is the reason why I've created this idea that you've already voted Query Builder Report: PTC have to share what TS do about it with their custumer

Ben Loosli‌ If you want you can add your vote too.

Marco
BenPerry
13-Aquamarine
(To:Marco_Tosin)

Really what I envision from Ben's posting above is how to see all the relationships between the tables.  But I think your product idea, Marco, is for setting up a repository for QML files - pre-determined queries.  Or else embedding them into the Windchill product.  So in my mind these are 2 different things.

I know I like to go write SQL and query for DB directly for a number of reasons.

• get the raw data and export it easily
  • bypass query limits
  • information/relationships that arent readily visible in Query Builder
  • in scripting, open a sqlplus prompt, run a query to get an output and close the sqlplus prompt

That being said, there are also things that can be done in Query Builder that can't be done in direct db query, such as querying information about users.  Query Builder can get data from db and ldap.  But direct query in db can't access ldap.  Also Query Builder gives a nice UI and hyperlinks that can be clicked so you can go direct to the PBO or whatever.

So a strong case for both.  I would just like document that shows information such as: "EPMDOCUMENT.IDA3MASTERREFERENCE = EMPDOCUMENTMASTER.IDA2A2" if you want to tie those 2 tables together.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenPerry)

It would be wonderful it PTC would build a page like the Windchill Java Doc for the database relationships.  Some of the existing relationships are clearly defined in the tables where the classname tells you what table to link to, but others are much more obscure if you don't already know they exist (like HolderToContent).

Ben you're right, but the reason why I connect your answer to my idea is also to show to Bjoern Saupp our request.

Marco
Top Tags