cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Part Configuration / Instance Overview?

mspencer
5-Regular Member

Part Configuration / Instance Overview?

We have some high value parts for which I would like to track their test documentation and reports for each unique serial number. I am looking into using Part Configurations and Instances to be able to create unique WC objects for each serial number. From this unique part instance, I can store and link the specific documentation for the item(s). I've read through the WC help information regarding the Configurations and Instances Overview. This helps on how to create all the items, but it doesn't do a good job explaining the methodology behind it or how the files all work together. I've looked through the past PTC live presentations but also found little help. Does anyone have some light to shed on this subject? I'm a bit confused as to where exactly the 'Part Instances' are stored...they don't seem like an item with a location, and cannot be 'moved'. When looking at the information page it seems they are on the top level of the product but do not appear in any folders? Also, when creating a new part instance, it appears you can optionally select a part configuration but it is not required. I'm a bit lost as to why exactly you need a part configuration in addition to a part instance.

Any light or example of how others are utilizing these features and possibly how they are structuring their dataset would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Max

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags