cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Policy Administration and user permissions

HugoHermans
9-Granite

Policy Administration and user permissions

Introduction

This document is initially based an Excel-file I got somewhere (I think from Mike).  If the original author comes foreward, I will be pleased to grant him the credits.

I didn't check all the statements, I added some of my own.  The document is far from complete.  May I invite you to do the same, so this document may grow in the community.

At this moment, I'm not sure whether or not the format is the most appropriate.  I've some difficulties with the formatting.  Maybe we have to revert back to Excel  😞

For your convenience : the general structure is : Object Type > User Action > ACL (> Additional comment on ACL).  So, the focus is to document the ACL's needed to allow/disallow certain user actions.

This document is written based on experience in Windchill 9.1.

General Comments

Set State

Set State only appaers when the Set State transitions are configured in the lifecycle.  Only those states are selectable that are configured in the lifecycle of the object.  Unless the user is either an Admin, or has Administrative ACL.

New Object

The ability to create in a Folder does not require Modify or Modify Content permission for the SubFolder object.  Modify for the SubFolder relates only to Renaming it; Modify Content for the SubFolder seems to be n/a.

Rename Object

This is a serious user action if there are multiple Revisions in an object's history.  Once renamed, users can no longer search for the object as it was at the time when used for business purposes.  There is only the Rename history.

Tabel with details

Object Type / User ActionACLComment

Cabinet

(Access)ReadRequired in order to see all elements in Folders subtab UI of a context and to do any work in the context.
ModifyNo direct user action / menu pick results from providing Modify for Cabinet, but it is prerequisite for all create actions (including Revise) in the related context.

SubFolder

(Access)Read
New FolderCreate
Edit FolderRead
ModifyModify by itself is required for moving an object (e.g document or Part) to the  Folder.  Modify by itself results in nothing related to renaming, but it must be  added in combination with Modify Identity in order for the user to be able to  Rename.
Modify IdentityBoth Modify and Modify Identity required to rename a folder.

WTDocument

(Access)Read
Download Primary File

Read

Download

The menu pick says "Primary File" but in fact one ACL provides the ability to  download both the primary file and any attachment files.

New DocumentCreate

Read not needed to create (but makes no sense not to have Read).  Create needs to be at ALL states, or at first state of Lifecycle assigned to Document by OIR.  Best practice is at first state.

DeleteCreate

Delete
Delete Non-Latest IterationsCreate
DeleteDisplays only where there is more than 1 iteration at the current revision.  Applies to all states that the existing non-latest  Iterarations for the current revision are currently at.
Edit / Check Out (and Edit) / Check InRead
ModifyAllows the user to Check Out.  From there, the user can either Edit or Undo CheckOut.
Check Out and DownloadRead
Download
ModifyWithout Modify Content, user can only edit metadata, not the primary or attachement files.
Modify ContentWith the addition of Modify Content, the user can replace the files.
Replace ContentRead
ModifyWithout Modify Content, user can only edit metadata, not the primary or  attachment files.
Modify ContentWith the addition of Modify Content, the user can replace the files.  But it  requires Modify.
RenameRead
Modify Identity

Allows a user to edit the Number and/or Name.  The permission has to be either  to ALL states or each state in the object's history.

New RevisionRead
Revise

For all users, new Revision only appears  when at a lifecycle state from which the Revise transition has been  configured.

Also required: Create at state which results  from Revise transition from current state, conifigured in lifecycle.

Also required: Modify for the Cabinet for  this context.

Note: The preference "Allow Override On  Revise" allows user to specify a Revision other than the next in the series if  set to yes (default is no).

Set StateRead
Set State
MoveRead
Create By MoveThis one governs where the object ends up (create here).  The permission has to be either to ALL states or each state in the object's history.
Change DomainMultiple permissions required for moving.  This one governs where the object ends up (create here).  The permission has to be either to ALL states or each state in the object's history.
Change ContextMultiple permissions required for moving.  This one governs where the object ends up (create here).  The permission has to be either to ALL states or each state in the object's history.
Add to ProjectRead
DownloadRequired in addition to Change Permissions
Change PermissionsOne would never guess this, but this is the ACL to enable this menu pick.
ReAssign LifecyclesReadRequired in addition to Change Permissions
Administrative

EPMDocument

To be completedto be completed

WTPart

(Access)Read
New PartCreate
Delete
Delete Non-Latest Iterations
Check Out (and Edit) / Edit / Check In
Edit Bill of Materials

Edit Common Attributes

ReAssign View
Rename
New Revision
Set State
Move
Add to Project
ReAssign Lifecycles
New View Version
New One Off Version
New Part Configuration

Final Remarks

Lifecycle configuration

Although the policy administrator is the better option for access rights configuration, lifecycles are sometimes an option as well.

E.g.: Delete for the creator of a WTdocument is easily ackomplished through lifecycle config.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags