cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Policy Administration role 'Reviewer'

DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock

Policy Administration role 'Reviewer'

Windchill 10.1 M020

We've been using Change Management for some time. I've been working on a project to expand this into other parts of our facility. In doing so, I have to set up (and review existing) policy settings in the Policy Administration utility.

One of the things I noticed was that the Design Engineer role (the entire product engineering department) had modify permission when a Change Activity (WTChangeActivity2) was at the Under Review state. This looked like a mistake I simply forgot to correct upon implementation. The only role that should be modifying the Change Activity is the Reviewer, who is chosen when the Change Notice Implementation Plan is first created. I double checked and the Reviewer did indeed have the correct permissions for Under Review WTChangeActivity2. So, I removed the policy for Design Engineer.

Turns out removing this caused every reviewer to no longer be able to attach documents to the Change Activity. I double check the Reviewer policy and everything looks right. In fact, it's identical to the Design Engineer policy that is allowing attachments to be made. I even look over the Assignee policy and verify it's working as expected at each state (Implementation = modify; Under Review = no modify).

It's looking like the Reviewer role chosen in the Workflow Template is in no way related to the Reviewer listed as a role in Policy Administration. Knowledge Base provided nothing (granted, I give up on it pretty quickly due to how much of a PoS it is).

I put the Design Engineer policy back in place just so the system works while I sort this out, but it's not an ideal situation to allow any member of product engineering to modify the Change Activity at any point in the review.

Has anyone else seen weird behavior with the Reviewer role? If so, what else should I look into?

I thought about using a different role (or creating my own) but that would be a bit too much work to go through if it's something simple I'm overlooking.

1 REPLY 1
kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:DonSenchuk)

You may want to have a look at permissions at the Lifecycle level, which (as far as I understand it) work with the Team applied.  Context Team Roles generally populate Object Team Roles when an Assigned Activity uses Context Team as a Resource Pool.  What I would try is adding the Reviewer Role to your Change Activity Lifecycle (Roles Tab) and then set permissions on the Access Tab for the Reviewer Role.  The out of the box Change Activity Team has (I suspect) the Reviewer Role in it, but it looks like the Lifecycle does not.

I suspect that when the Design Engineer permission was removed there was no remaining permission.  My guess/hope is that if you apply the permission at the Lifecycle level then you'll get the Object by Object permissions that you are looking for.

Top Tags