cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Poor Windchill Performance after upgrade to 10.2 M030 CPS02

soerton
5-Regular Member

Poor Windchill Performance after upgrade to 10.2 M030 CPS02

This past weekend we updated our Windchill System from 10.2 M020 to 10.2 M030 CPS02.  Since then we have been experiencing significantly slow performance with multiple Method Servers becoming deadlocked and the DB maxing out.

Is anyone here running 10.2 M030 CPS02 and have/are you experiencing similar issues?

15 REPLIES 15
PaulCollins
5-Regular Member
(To:soerton)

We are yet to go live with M030 but have experienced several issues as a result of that specific Maintenance release, as a result we are waiting for CPS04 and will revisit the update to M030 at that point.

What Windchill OS and DB are you using?

I am interested to hear if you uncover the root cause of the issues and any resolutions.

soerton
5-Regular Member
(To:PaulCollins)

Our OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 and our DB is SQL Server 2008 R2.

Its currently looking like the upgrade script removed some indexes from the DB that Windchill was using to assist with performance issues.  We recreated the missing Indexes in the DB and that has significantly improved our performance.  We are still have some issues with deadlocked methodservers but PTC is working on getting us a hotfix for it.  Being told this hot fix is coming out with CPS04

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

We recently published a bulletin regarding deadlocked Method Servers. It would be useful to follow the progress of it. Information is located here:

http://support.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/standards/freefull.jsp?&im_dbkey=166606&im_language=en

soerton
5-Regular Member
(To:LoriSood)

Hi Lori,

We were the ones that found the issue and are running the Hotfix patch provided to us prior to this patch release.

Hi Stephen,

the patch PTC provided to you does fix the issue?

Marco
soerton
5-Regular Member
(To:Marco_Tosin)

It has stopped the deadlocks from occurring, although the deadlocks were being caused by several long running SQL queries that flat lined our DB for a little while.

We have deployed 10.2 M030 CPS01 on a development system. This seems to perform reasonable but there is not much load on the system. We are using Redhat Linux and an Oracle 11g Database.

We will need functionality fixed in CPS04 so I am interested on the reason to this performance problems. So I am interested in the root cause, too. The release notes for CPS03 still gave no clue about fixed performance problems.

Deadlocked method servers are likely the result of database locks and/or insufficient db connections. Maybe you get a clue by looking at the database.

Do you see anything in the activity monitor? We experienced a deadlock scenario with severe performance issue. This was due to a deadlocked caused by publisher queue.

We used some of the reports from SQL Server to trace back to the transaction.

blocking_transaction.jpg

Upgrade Manger deletes/creates indices at its course of run. Did you notice any error in upgrade manager in this step?

I Just discovered that server network card (Windchill 10.2 M030 virtualized) have a big amount of traffic (sometimes more than 200 MB!) when the worker is downloading a big assembly.

When this happens, the traffic from Windchill and Apache reverse proxy explode and Windchill become extremely slow.

If I shutdown the worker (Creo 3 M030), than all it's OK.

Marco
soerton
5-Regular Member
(To:Marco_Tosin)

We are still trying to fix our issue.  We are finding some poorly optimized, both user & non-user initiated, SQL queries that can easily run for over an hour.  When these queries run, the DB CPU spikes near 100% and all traffic seems to stop.  We have also found that a WC restart takes close to 2 hours to bring it back to life because some of the startup queries can easily take over an hour to complete.

Thanks for your info.

We have a different issue, I explain in my previous comment.

Have you noticed the same behavior?

Marco

How big are your assemblies? Is 200 MB a reasonable download size? Is the CAD worker running on the same machine as your Windchill server?

Content download can be a stress factor for the server as the worker clients opens parallel connections for the download. You may get a clue looking at the server status page. Are there numbers in red (Maximum Concurrency)?

Michael,

a brief summary.

We went from 10.1 M040 (single virtual server 16 GB + single virtual 8 GB CAD Worker with Creo 2 M140 and also Creo License Server) to 10.2 M030 (single virtual server 64 GB + single virtual CAD Worker with Creo 3 M030)

Because we are restructuring the contexts number (from more than 40 products to nearly 10), we are moving thousands of WTPart and EPMdoc and this caused republishing of thousands of objects.

To avoid this behavior, the first few days we stopped all publishing queues.

In the next days we moved CAD worker on the same server of Windchill, because of the network traffic generated between the two server.

The reason was the double publishing of the worker because of the Locale (see this article https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=135042)

When we reactivated the worker, we experienced poor performance and I discovered what I described in my previous comment.

However it's quite incredible that, quadrupling the ram of the server, our users have this big pain working with Windchill.

Marco

Hi Marco,

what I experienced is that the CAD Worker might bring considerable load on the background server and the database doing all the dependency resolution and other things, even more when PDMLink and Server are running on fast machines. Creo 3.0 does downloads really multithreaded so there should be considerable traffic on the server. There will also be significant traffic between the system and the database.

So back to your problems:

- is there a direct relation of network traffic peaks on the server to the network traffic on the CAD worker?

- how many methodservers are configured on your system?

- what about the number of CPUs in the old and the new system?

- are there signs of problems in your webserver logs?

- what does your Server Status Page say about GC times and heap usage?

- when quadrupling the ram on the server did you do a new run of the Windchill Configuration Assistant?

- how is the storage connected - may there be a bottleneck when under heavy load?

Poor Windchill performance is typically caused by a heavy loaded database or insufficient resources for the Java VMs. If the problem is network related you should also encounter package drops and/or high retransmission rates.

Hope this helps to guide you to find a solution.

soerton
5-Regular Member

After upgrading to CPS04, we are back to functioning normally.   Thank you everyone for you help.

Top Tags