cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Populating Soft Attributes - Batch

DarinS
1-Newbie

Populating Soft Attributes - Batch

All,

I have a soft attribute for WTParts that contains text (ERP_DESCRIPTION). This field is passed to our ERP system during an ESI transactions. If the field is blank the transaction rolls back and a task to populate the field is triggered.

There are thousands of WTParts that have empty fields that will at some point need to be populated. I have the required ERP_DESCRIPTION for every WTPart in a csv file and have loaded it into an Oracle table. Using SQL it would be simple enough to insert this data in the STRINGVALUE table but the table entry does not exist until data is actually populated.

What I would like to do is automatically load the ERP_DESCRIPTION, creating a STRINGVALUE entry for each WTPart.

Any ideas?

Windchill 9.1 (m050)

Thanks,
Darin

11 REPLIES 11
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:DarinS)

We have this exact need as well and I suspect that it is very common - please post if you get a good answer and process.
ddemay
1-Newbie

So you need a StringValue insert statement?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Seems like an Import from Spreadsheet or a LoadFromFile process would be much more robust - bad, bad things can happen from touching the database directly.

I agree with Mike Lockwood, completely..

Alexius C. Chukwuka
IT Analyst, PDP Systems
John Deere Power Systems
Product Engineering Center
*Voice: 319-292-8575
*Mobile: 319-429-5336
*Fax:319-292-6282
*E-Mail: -
CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to Deere & Company, or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.
ddemay
1-Newbie

Takes longer to write a loader...but I do agree in principal.

The same sequence is used across all tables to create their respective ida2a2 value.

I'll take a look at this in sqldeveloper in the AM to create an insert statement.

There is really nothing to write. The import from spreadsheet and LoadFromFile are OOTB tools.

Alexius C. Chukwuka
IT Analyst, PDP Systems
John Deere Power Systems
CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to Deere & Company, or one of its subsidiaries or affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.
ddemay
1-Newbie

They iterate your parts.

DarinS
1-Newbie

Correct, which in turn takes your transaction history out of sync. You would have to resend everything to the distribution target.

Yes, only if there is an existing version/iteration already in the database.

Alexius C. Chukwuka
IT Analyst, PDP Systems
John Deere Power Systems

I can quickly (1 day) write you a loader for this. Please contact me if you need it (-).

I was unable to create a custom loadfromfile for non-modeled attributes. I had to use info-engine to populate the soft type attributes we added. Here is apiece for illustrationif you want to use an info-engine task. You can read the part/values in with Java from a file

<ie:webject name="CheckOut-Objects" type="OBJ">
<ie:param name="INSTANCE"" data="IE_Adapter_Service_Name"/">
<ie:param name="OBJECT_REF" data="$(gPart[0]obid[0])"/">
<ie:param name="GROUP_OUT" data="gItem"/">
</ie:webject>

<ie:webject name="Update-Objects" type="OBJ">
<ie:param name="OBJECT_REF" data="$(gItem[0]wt.part.WTPart.obid[0])"/">

<ie:param name="GROUP_OUT" data="gOut"/">
</ie:webject>

<ie:webject name="CheckIn-Objects" type="OBJ">