cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

PostgreSQL Database (open source) with Windchill PDMLink. Benchmarks all point to PostgreSQL.

patrick.chin1
1-Newbie

PostgreSQL Database (open source) with Windchill PDMLink. Benchmarks all point to PostgreSQL.

I would like to know if anyone has tried to have Windchill PDMLink work with PostgreSQL Database. According to these benchmarks:

One with SQL Server 5 and MySQL:

http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/51-Cross-Compare-of-SQL-Server,-MySQL,-and-PostgreSQL.html

PostgreSQL versus MS SQL Server and PostgreSQL versus Oracle at the following sites:

http://www.redhat.com/pdf/rhel/bmsql-postgres-sqlsrvr-v1.0-1.pdf

http://diznix.com/dizwell/archives/category/postgres

PostgreSQL out performs all current databases withthe exception ofproducing a 5 million record report againstOracle. I like the benchmark with 2 Intel Quad Core Xeon, 48 GIG of ram which closely resemble my Oracle Database. It definitely proves that the combination of Red Hat Linux and PostgreSQL looks really good compared to Windows 2008 and SQL Server Enterprise with identical hardware.

I've started creating the database and now moving to the user schemas. If this works, like RedHat Linux, this would savecost on licensing and maintenance on running Windchill on databases. Thus, more money can be alocated to the Windchill Solution and implementation.

Having fun,

Patrick

3 REPLIES 3

I like this - PostgreSQL is an extremely robust and high performing Open Source enterprise DB Solution that is free to use for companies, it would be fantastic if PTC Supported it as a backend DB for Windchill.

I am interested to know how you got on too - I cannot imagine that it would run Windchill OOTB as I would have thought Windhchill would need to be coded for it.

Imagine how much simpler it would make Windchill virtualisation and multiple DEV/TEST environments... I have to run Oracle on separate Physical Boxes to prevent running into licensing issues on my HA VMware Environment which I use to host all my other Windchill Servers - it's bloomin' frustrating !! Things like remote failover DR sites become far cheaper for everyone to consider.

I would have thought it in PTC's interest financially too - they would immediately get loads more instances of Windchill due to removing the Oracle/MS SQL Tax on their product.

Rgds

Gary

I'm not sure, but the Windchill 11 db directory also contains the scripts of PostgreSQL... Perhaps PTC ist testing it in the background.

jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:BjoernRueegg)

Windchill's object-relational-mapping supports PostgreSQL at this point.

That said, this has only been fully tested, etc, and thus is only supported in "offline" deployments of InService, where this portion of Windchill code is also used.

If full, official Windchill support of PostgreSQL is a priority then I'd suggest raising this enhancement request via all the usual channels.

Top Tags