cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Power BI integration with Windchill

AD_9933743
4-Participant

Power BI integration with Windchill

Hey everyone,

I am a beginner with Windchill and have a question about getting query data from the PTC Windchill server and directly pushing the information to Power BI.

I've been doing some research and have seen some other posts on this website mentioning the use of the REST API, however I have not seen a definitive solution to this.

My question is if anybody has done this integration if they can share how they have done it or give me some pointers? 

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
rhart
15-Moonstone
(To:AD_9933743)

Hi @AD_9933743 

That's a great idea, you can pull data from Windchill into PowerBI using REST Services and you can do the same in MSExcel etc.

1. Start with a blank web query in PowerBI

Start with a blank web query in PowerBIStart with a blank web query in PowerBI

2. Use the Advanced Editor to write web query from scratch

Use the Advanced Edit to write a web query from scratchUse the Advanced Edit to write a web query from scratch

3. Only need to call the REST Service (using an OTB odata REST here) and provide an authentication

Make your REST call and provide AuthenticationMake your REST call and provide Authentication

let
    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://<myhost>:80/Windchill/servlet/odata/v5/ChangeMgmt/ChangeNotices?%24count=false", [Headers=[Authorization="Basic <mybasicauth>"]]))
in
    Source

4. Transform and present the data how you want in the PowerBI UI

How would go about having a REST endpoint push? Once it's in Power BI you can refresh to pull the latest data anyway.

Main downside to this method is storing credentials in the pbi web query, if you want to share the analysis then publish it, instead of sharing the Power BI file itself

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:rhart)

How are you generating that basic auth hash?

rhart
15-Moonstone
(To:TomU)

AD_9933743
4-Participant

Thank you so much for your detailed response @rhart !

Like @TomU I am also wondering where you generated the basic authorization hash key from. I seem to not be able to find it in my PTC Windchill web client. Also, when utilizing the odata REST service, is there any sort of setup required? Or is the functionality built into Windchill? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

rhart
15-Moonstone
(To:AD_9933743)

Just whichever browser you prefer in dev mode can find it, following the hints in the link above.

Log in to Windchill then try the REST Service url in the address bar using a tab in the same session, if you get a json file back, REST is already setup.

SM_10639755
4-Participant

I try this but is not working, maybe is it just me? any additional tip? 

Thanks

Announcements

Top Tags