cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

RES: Versioning scheme / Bulk load / Unusual customer

grocha
1-Newbie

RES: Versioning scheme / Bulk load / Unusual customer

Hello Mike,

I forgot to mention that, because this customer receives documents from
different places and different versioning schemes, they can have both
alphabetic and numeric revisions in the SAME STATE and thats really my
problem because OOTB WC suggests that they must be in separated seeds of a
series, denying me to use both in the same state.

1 REPLY 1
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:grocha)

On 06/14/13 11:40, Guilherme Rocha wrote:
>
> Hello Mike,
>
> I forgot to mention that, because this customer receives documents from different places and
> different versioning schemes, they can have both alphabetic and numeric revisions in the SAME
> STATE and thats really my problem because OOTB WC suggests that they must be in separated seeds of
> a series, denying me to use both in the same state.
>

You could write a custom java class or jsp page you run immediately after the load that does the
following:

1. parses the xml file to get the doc name and correct revision
2. uses wt.vc.VersionControlHelper.service.changeRevision() to reset the revision to the correct value
* note that using VersionControlHelper.service.changeRevision() changes the "Last Modified"
timestamp for all iterations of said revision

>
> *Subject:* [solutions] - Versioning scheme / Bulk load / Unusual customer
>
> *Intro.*
>
> This customer is using WC to manage construction docs, that means they manage paper, scanned paper
> in PDF format.
>
> We are using Arbortext Content Manager for that, once they need revisioning but doesn't need EPM
> documents.
>
> We opted to use bulk load to create the documents in WC, once they have to add tons of documents
> daily basis, we made a load program for them, they just fill an excel sheet with the metadata and
> the program bulk loads it.
>
> *Requirement.*
>
> The requirement is that a document can be loaded into WC in whatever revision it was approved,
> that means they need to load revision E of a document directly as a new document, same for numeric
> revisions, they may receive the revision 11 and load it directly too, the process of approval and
> their revisions are not controled by WC once this happens outside the company, only approved docs
> get in.
>
> A doc can be loaded as approved with alphabetic and numeric revisions depending of where it came
> from, the customer, external engineering office, etc...
>
> *Problem.*
>
> When I have a file based versioning scheme containing only numeric options (0 to 99) it works
> flawlessly, a document can be loaded directly in revision 2 for example, even If I need to load
> the revision 0 after that I can, it will be fixed in the history of the document.
>
> Now my problem is when I add the alphabetic revisions to the versioning scheme, it denies the
> behavior described above, just after adding the alphabetic revisions in game I can only load a new
> document in the A version.
>
> *Any ideas on how to enable this scenario for this customer? See attached the versioning scheme I
> was talking about.*
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Guilherme Rocha
>
> "A goal without a plan is just a wish."
>
> -----End Original Message-----
>
> -----End Original Message-----

--