cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Re-architect Workgroup CAD Document type based on soft-type/sub-type

hdamle-2
1-Newbie

Re-architect Workgroup CAD Document type based on soft-type/sub-type

Re-architect Creo WGM CAD Document based on soft-type/sub-type rather than attribute called document type or document sub-type. This shall allow to tightly integrate OOTB functionalities such as ACL, Policies, OIR, Numbering Scheme, Lifecycle/Workflows with object type. This shall provide more generic solution.

Use case:

Currently Creo Formats, Assembly, Part etc. are persisted as EPMDocument type with authoring app as Creo/Pro. Attribute called  "document type" differentiates between each of the formats. So, all Creo Formats/Assebly/Part are driven by same Lifecycle/OIR and ACL etc. Usually Formats are managed under Library where they're rarely changed. So if we want to put in policy not to be able to create/check-in Formats in a Product level, that's not possible using ACL/Policy (without customization).

Making WGM CAD Type as sub-type of EPMDocument shall allow to apply various business rules/policies more flexibly without customization.

Message was edited by: Harshal Damle

4 REPLIES 4
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:hdamle-2)

Harshal,

This sounds more like a product idea than a discussion.  If you have maintenance then you might want to go ahead and create a new idea:

https://www.ptcusercommunity.com/community/create-idea!input.jspa?containerType=14&containerID=2034&contentType=3227383

hdamle-2
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

I did create a product idea but I could tag very limited target audience

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:hdamle-2)

Found it.  Here's the link in case other are looking for it: Re-architect Workgroup CAD Document type based on soft-type/sub-type

By the way, don't forget to vote on your own idea. 

‌Hi, you are able to create for each "document type" a CAD-Document subtype. Have a look at the blog post

Windchill 10: Mapping Authoring Application to CAD Document Soft Types

I have successfully setup the system to have for each type (Part, Assembly, Drawing,...) their own OIR, ACL etc.

Top Tags