cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Renaming multiple objects with progressive numbers, all at once

tleati
10-Marble

Renaming multiple objects with progressive numbers, all at once

Hello,

I would like to rename a set of objects in Windchill with progressive numbers (Cxxxx_1, Cxxxx_2, etc. etc.), all at once with a single command (the number of the objects is very high, so would be infinite to do it manually).

I know that the rename command (label icon) in the rename window can rename multiple objects for example with the same string, but I don't know how to set the progressive number (which would go according to the order objects are listed in the list, tmuch importance on this anyway).

Anyone knows if it is possible?

thanks

Bye

Tommaso

6 REPLIES 6
bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:tleati)

My company developed a java utility that will rename objects.  The input to the utility is just a CSV file of two columns (currentNumber,newNumber).  It currently works on EPMDocuments or WTParts, but I am sure we could extend it to work on WTDocuments if necessary (or other object types).  We can also update any or all of the number and name (for WTParts), or the number, name, and filename (for EPMDocuments).  It runs via command line on the Windchill application server.

We have successfully used this utility to perform rename on an order of magnitude of several thousands to low tens of thousands of objects.  If you are interested please send me a direct e-mail.

Hello Bob,

thanks for your reply. Your software sounds interesting and would be useful too, but unfortunately indeed I am not allowed to install external applications which may interfere with the data (sure anyway that your utility is safe and tested).

It just seemed strange that there wasn't an embedded function like the one when you "save as" an assembly which puts a suffix like the default "_" at the end of the name. But I see there is no possibility like this. (fortunately in my case items number is not thousands as yours, so I can make do with manual work this time).

thanks

bye bye

Tommaso

ChrisPLM
9-Granite

Hello

it is possible to do many various "mass" activities but generally it requires some custom application.

The one my consultant did a few years ago work in a similar way than what Bob described.

A csv file need to be prepared, the structure of the file could be

CurrentNumber,New Number

but it is not limited to this. I once had a project to align systems and over 70 000 Wtpart, related models and drawings needed to have parameters changed, we had Name, Number, Filename . We also needed to do it for some specific version only.

So the first two columns of the CSV file were to identify the object

Current Number, Version

the rest was the new data so the CSV looked like this

Current Number, Version, New Number, New Name, New Filename

It requires some preparation to create the CSV file but also some testing to ensure data are not messed up.

It took a few months to prepare the data, test, validate the data but on the production server, we modified  ~15 000 objects per hour.

I am not aware of PTC utilities to do mass changes on this kind, so if you cannot program yourself or have someone within your company, you will need the help of an internal. For us, it took a day for the consultant to write the application, we tested it, there was some issues, so it got improved. Overall I must have paid about 2 to 3 days of consultancy work.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Thanks

Best regards

tleati
10-Marble
(To:ChrisPLM)

Hello Chris,

thanks for your reply. Do you know whether PTC is currently foreseing to develop an embedded utility like yours or Bob's? The fact is that since I cannot install software which may interfere with the data (with catastrophic consequences), possible solutions would be to have a PTC utility (thus certified and insured as far as our contract is concerned), or to look for a consultancy service like you did (as much insured in case of possible problems).

I was just wondering whether there was a special function somehow and somewhere.

thanks

bye bye

Tommaso

ChrisPLM
9-Granite

Hi

I can speak for Windchill 11 but for 10.x if there was one I would have used it.

Surely whoever decide such rules in your company as to balance his policy vs work involved to cleanse the data.

Also, you never do such mass changes before many rehearsals on test server. So the changes something go wrong on production is close to 0.

Good luck.

tleati
10-Marble
(To:ChrisPLM)

Hi Chris,

yes it's right what you say, but in my case I don't have to perform a mass renaming, the number is not so huge and I could eventually do it one-by-one and a little per day (it's nor urget nor vital for our database, just a "cosmetic" renaming), that's why I wouldn't ask to install an external software just for this...

I was (erroneously) expecting there was a similar function embedde and ready to use...

thanks

bye bye

Top Tags