cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Should Substitute Links follow context location of Assembly Part or Component Part?

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Should Substitute Links follow context location of Assembly Part or Component Part?

As a follow up to my posting earlier, Post upgrade - Create Substitute action missing for user , I am questioning why this was necessary at all. Did PTC err in how this works? Here is my reasoning.

When creating a substitute link, you need to have check out rights to the assembly part. This is a 3 way link between the assembly part, the component and the replacement part. In my case, the components are library parts where the users have read only rights. To add a library component to an assembly BOM, you do not need modify rights to the component, only read rights. It follows that those users should be guests in that library which is what I have configured. Those same users are members of the context where the assembly part lives.  

Now, the issue was the default rights for guests in a library does not allow you to create anything. This includes substitute links from what I can tell. I had to add an ACL for guests to allow creation and modification. The role access preference is another security block which removes the action which is now required to be changed. None of this was necessary, if the substitute link was located in the same context as the assembly part. What say you? I'd be interested in any folks from PTC's opinion. I am sure this was a design decision. What was the reasoning?

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @avillanueva 

In my opinion it is just consequence effect that you use the library context as a source replacement and using guest role in the library for user. 

Guest role is really specific role in the system and I do not recommend to use it if the user is creator in another context.

I remember that I used guest in a project and I got in many troubles because the role has invisible (unknown) rules and rights what you do not expect.

PetrH

Agree that the consequence is the guest role but how else would you use a library context where you want to keep users from modifying common things like COTS or milspec CAD models. I limit modify access to a trusted few admins and librarians. Guest is appropriate if you want them to have a read only experience. I just am saying that a substitute link should be created where the assembly part is. This is different than an alternate link which I would agree belongs in the library. 

If I ditched the use of guest and put every one in members role, I would have to alter the default rights to make them read only and shift those rights to a different role to restore. This seems clunky.

Top Tags