cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Should we upgrade to Windchill 10.2 from 10.1?

bradlawrence
9-Granite

Should we upgrade to Windchill 10.2 from 10.1?

My company is currently on Windchill 10.1 , should we upgrade to 10.2 ?  What are the benefits?  Any downside to upgrade?

7 REPLIES 7
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:bradlawrence)

There are, of course, lots of improvements between 10.1 and 10.2, ranging from top-level feature bullets to smaller code cleanups and performance tweaks that are too numerous and varied to list.

That said, I would specifically note that 10.2 improved clustering capabilities if you are current deploying as a cluster or plan to do so in the near future.

1. 10.2 greatly simplifies cluster configuration as compared to previous releases
  2. 10.2 removes the single point of failure of the cache master, providing automatic failover of cache master role to other server managers

The MORs contain numerous code cleanups and performance tweaks as well, so I would urge adoption of the latest available MOR while you are at it.

From a CAD integration point of view.

A major feature is the multi owner link capability

-ability to link the same CAD model to different WTpart

-be able to synch several linked WTpart BOMs with the new resolve mode in CAD to part comparator

and some smaller features like ability to synch WTpart BOM line numbers with CAD structure links ...

and if I remember the "save non checkout object in workspace"

Very interesting points from the CAD integration side.  With our company starting to dive into the CAD driven BOM's, associating the wtparts to CAD docs.  This is worth investigating.

More information on the multi-owner capability available as of 10.2 M030 can be found here:

https://support.ptc.com/view?im_dbkey=166376

The ECAD integration is pretty decent; if that's an interest.

All the above points are absolutely valid but There are still a few issues with 10.2, specially M030, Method servers bottleneck being the primary one.

I would suggest to wait for the next datecode before you move to 10.2.

PTC is working on a patch for this issue.

Poor Windchill Performance after upgrade to 10.2 M030 CPS02

They wrote:

"PTC has identified the cause of the problem and expects to have a fix available the week of June 8th"

Marco
Top Tags