cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

The part and model structures are inconsistent

zeda
6-Contributor

The part and model structures are inconsistent

Good day I would like to know why the asm file was checked in but the parts were not generated. The model is present in Creo and the data is checked in successfully, but the part is not found in the structure in the Windchill system. salute

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine
(To:zeda)

Hi,

Welcome to Windchill.

I suggest that you do this.,

1. go to the info page of the CAD Assembly in Windchill

2. Go to Actions> Compare to Part Structure

You will get a comparison of the structure of CAD Assembly and its corresponding Windchill Part Structure.

Each CAD part there will be traceable to its Windchill part. Its a very intuitive comparison tool. Enjoy!

Cheers

Hari

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine

Hi,

Did the system create a WTPart for the CAD Assembly ? 

There are many things that can influence this behaviour. Was any preference changed? 

Can you create a WTPart in standalone Windchill?

Let us know.

Cheers

Hari

zeda
6-Contributor
(To:Hari_Vara)

Hi Hari,

I'm sorry I'm a newbie, how do I check if a WTP art has been created for a CAD assembly?
Many of the component structures and assembly structures are identical, but the components in individual assemblies are not reflected in the component structure.

Cheese

Zeda

Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine

Hi,

Welcome to Windchill.

I suggest that you do this.,

1. go to the info page of the CAD Assembly in Windchill

2. Go to Actions> Compare to Part Structure

You will get a comparison of the structure of CAD Assembly and its corresponding Windchill Part Structure.

Each CAD part there will be traceable to its Windchill part. Its a very intuitive comparison tool. Enjoy!

Cheers

Hari

zeda
6-Contributor

Hi Hari,

Thank you so much, I have one more question for you: can it be reassembled? How it works?

cheers

Zeda

Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine

Hi,

Glad you got it.

Reassembly simply means it will create a new iteration of the CAD assembly, and when you check in, the corresponding Windchill part for the assembly also will be iterated to reflect the new structure.

Cheers

Hari 

zeda
6-Contributor

Hi,

But there is a new doubt: the part is compared to the CAD document,The CAD file of the assembly is not displayed??🤯

Cheers 

Zeda

Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine

Screenshot will help. Please hide any sensitive info.

zeda
6-Contributor

As shown below:
Perhaps this is the reason why the CAD model cannot be used to build the associated part? There is data in the assembly structure, but it is not searchable in the part structure.

7a4ebbe8b522c256fa89bdd06dc85b77.jpeg

I don't know if I'm expressing it clearly, if not then please forgive me, I continue to improve

Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine

Hi,

I think the CAD assembly does not have a corresponding Windchill part. This could be because you have created the Windchill part first and then went to CAD and assembled the child parts in CAD. What is missing is that you need to link the Windchill part of the top assembly to the CAD assembly. Windchill could not determine that the CAD assembly and the Windchill part for the assembly should be linked.

This can be done by 

1. Go to the top windchill part

2. Go to Actions>Edit Association

3. Search and choose the CAD Assembly.

4. Click OK

This will create that missing link.

Once you are through, I can tell you that there is a better work method.(For your next time work)

Cheers

Hari

zeda
6-Contributor

Hi,

Thank you very much!
What's a better way, I'm curious.

Cheers 

Zeda

Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine

Hi,

Did the problem get resolved?

I assume that you wanted to start building a product structure from top-down, however you cannot start from CAD. Is that right?

So, usually the best practice is that for Part structure (Windchill side), we start from the product structure and start creating the Product hierarchy. Do this in windchill. Until you know that where the CAD assemblies come in,

Then stop here, and when you create a new node (Part) in windchill side, for which you know that CAD assembly will be there. 

At this point when you are creating such CAD defined assemblies, pls choose "Create CAD Document" when creating the part.

This will create a CAD assembly for you, then use that to go to the CAD environment and start your regular design work (like you did above).

This is the best practice where you will not have those problems.

Hope you are getting it.

Cheers

Hari

Top Tags