cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Update existing installation - PTC Solution Installer 9.1

ptc-1150384
1-Newbie

Update existing installation - PTC Solution Installer 9.1

Hello, I need to install "Windchill MPMLink 9.1" ("windchill 9.1" is already installed). So, I have to use the "PTC Solution Installer 9.1" to install this product. But, when I launch "Solution Installer 9.1", I can't select the Installation Type : "Update existing Installation". I can select only express and advanced installation. Do you have an idea to solve my problem?? BR, Nicolas.
5 REPLIES 5

Make sure you're logged in as the same user who installed Windchill. Installer stores data in "\Documents and Settings\<User_Name>\Application Data\PTC\Windchill\psi_iir.xml" and refers to it when running update etc. Also the data in psi_iir.xml can be in contradiction with how Windchill is configured (mostly due to interrupted installations etc). In this case you'd have to modify ("correct") it manually.

Thank you for your answer. But I didn't understood , if I have to modify the .xml file or to modify the windchill config? Nicolas.

Hi, There is a change in the Registry Loaction for 9.1 release.It is now picking up the registry information from the base <location>/installer/instreg file . No you dont need to update anything if it is a plain server. After this the Update existing option should be visible & you should be able to update your installation. Hope this answers your question.

Mayur, thanks for the tip, you're right (I actually hasn't noticed this until now). But there is a new file in 9.1 - psi_iir_index.xml and it's stored in "c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\PTC\Windchill\" so seems you still have to login as the same user, who installed Windchill (or manually copy the index to the Doc&Sett of the user who is trying to update). Christine, do you have the "c:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\PTC\Windchill\psi_iir_index.xml" in your Documents and settings? If no, copy it there from the Doc & Sett of the user who installed Windchill. If you have the file, have a look where it points and check the psi_iir.xml in that folder. There should be something like:
9ddbac0b7d
Make sure you have isInstalled="true" next to the modules you have installed.

I have modified the "psi_iir.xml" file which was in : C:\ptc\Windchill_9.1\installer\instreg. I have put the parameter "isinstalled" =true. And now it's ok. Thank you for your help. BR, Nicolas.
Top Tags