cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Upload Failures in DTI Using the Windows Explorer Integration

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Upload Failures in DTI Using the Windows Explorer Integration

Noticed an interesting CS Article this morning, CS229112. If a document is currently being previewed in Windows Explorer and the preview application puts a file lock on the file, it cannot be uploaded to Windchill. The issue was reported for PDF files, but I could also reproduce it with an MP4. The same thing will happen if the PDF file is open in Acrobat. I could not find a list of applications or preview applications that apply a file lock, but with a bit of testing, I could not reproduce this with Office documents or images.

Error Message

file_upload_failure_when_locked.png

Using the Windows Explorer Preview Pane

pdf-preview.png

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisPLM
9-Granite
(To:sm)

The preview pane is a real pain.

It only works offline. We have files on shared drive. To preview it has to download the file. Some are big, so it takes ages, If you want to open it, you must first select it (meaning that the previews will start to download to create the preview) but at the same time are trying to open it so it downloads it again.  A killer.

We advise people not to use this preview panel.

I am very interesting in reading about Building the digital twin . Where can I access the file ? Thanks

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ChrisPLM)

Ha, the Building the Digital Twin is a new PTC course. Not sure if they've released it yet, but its all about setting up your CAD to work within the digital twin framework.

Top Tags