cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Query Builder to list all files with a prefix

Aaronm87
11-Garnet

Use Query Builder to list all files with a prefix

We have several different filename prefixes and I'd like to generate reports that list all of the files with that particular prefix. For example, I want to find all WTParts and/or CAD files with a prefix of "XYZ-". 

5 REPLIES 5
mlockwood
19-Tanzanite
(To:Aaronm87)

Best to go straight to the database for this, but if it needs to be thru Windchill then:

- use the MASTER object (e.g. epmdocumentmaster, wtdocumentmaster rather than epmdocument, wtdocument) for better efficiency and simplicity.

Select directly: filename, Number, Name.

joe_morton
13-Aquamarine

You could also do this with a regular advanced search.

Just enter in filename, for example, XYZ*

I understand that I can use the advanced search, but I want to be able to print them to a PDF using a stylesheet. I haven't used the querybuilder much so I'm not very familiar with how to get the outputs I want.

mlockwood
19-Tanzanite

Search only returns 2000 at a time, so if you have for example 40000 results, it's a pain. That's one advantage of the report.

Reports can also be output to various formats.  I don't bother with those - output to Excel, and from there do all formatting and save as PDF.

Note: You may want to output to HTML instead of PDF - some major advantages.

If you want to really make it good, consider setting up the report to (this is easy to do):

- run the report automatically on a schedule (e.g. every Monday 8 am)

- automatically send report (e.g. HTML) output to users who need to see the results

STEVEG
20-Turquoise
(To:mlockwood)

I have changed our from 2000 to 10,000.  And if you don't know how to write reports that this would be easier.

Announcements
Learn more about how we are using our browser poll here