cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Use Query Builder to list all files with a prefix

Aaronm87
12-Amethyst

Use Query Builder to list all files with a prefix

We have several different filename prefixes and I'd like to generate reports that list all of the files with that particular prefix. For example, I want to find all WTParts and/or CAD files with a prefix of "XYZ-". 

5 REPLIES 5
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:Aaronm87)

Best to go straight to the database for this, but if it needs to be thru Windchill then:

- use the MASTER object (e.g. epmdocumentmaster, wtdocumentmaster rather than epmdocument, wtdocument) for better efficiency and simplicity.

Select directly: filename, Number, Name.

You could also do this with a regular advanced search.

Just enter in filename, for example, XYZ*

I understand that I can use the advanced search, but I want to be able to print them to a PDF using a stylesheet. I haven't used the querybuilder much so I'm not very familiar with how to get the outputs I want.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:Aaronm87)

Search only returns 2000 at a time, so if you have for example 40000 results, it's a pain. That's one advantage of the report.

Reports can also be output to various formats.  I don't bother with those - output to Excel, and from there do all formatting and save as PDF.

Note: You may want to output to HTML instead of PDF - some major advantages.

If you want to really make it good, consider setting up the report to (this is easy to do):

- run the report automatically on a schedule (e.g. every Monday 8 am)

- automatically send report (e.g. HTML) output to users who need to see the results

I have changed our from 2000 to 10,000.  And if you don't know how to write reports that this would be easier.

Top Tags