cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Versioning Change Management

ccabs
1-Newbie

Versioning Change Management

Experts,

I have a requirement where we want to introduce versioning on CR / CO. I know this is possible since if we look the APIs for these change objects, it has "iterated / Versioned" mentioned. See attached snapshot

hance was just thinking if there is a switch to turn on either versioning / iterations on CR / CO.

Thanks,

WC

14 REPLIES 14
BineshKumar1
12-Amethyst
(To:ccabs)

I too was wondering if there could be version/iteration control on CNs/variances.  It is a bit confusing to users where if you searched for a change object or even looked within the product's changes folders, you would see the change object's version (ex, 1.1, 2.1).  Yet within the actual change object there is no iteration. If version/iteration control is not offered on change objects, why do you display it as a Version on searches and folders?

Windchill offers change and revision control on change objects. This feature is controlled by a preference and is  turned off by default. To enable this functionality, set the value of the Change Modification Tracking preference to Yes. This is in Preference Management  > Change Management

Then you have to enable revise transition in the  corresponding life cycle template.

CR1.jpg

This will enable revise action in the options

CR2.jpg

The interesting thing this action will not prompt a confirmation before it actually revises the CR. You click the revise, the revision will change.

To add a prompt follow the steps in https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS159794

Thanks

Binesh Kumar

Barry Wehmiller

Hello Binesh,

Excellent....but then can I track what users has changed / modified / added what to the Change Objects?

I would also like to compare the differences between the different revisions? is this possible? like its available in WTPart and WTDoc objects "Compare Info" icon?

Thanks,

WC

Hello Binesh

I don't see that option.  However, you state that it offers change and revision control on change objects (which we already have - CN123456 Rev 1, Rev 2 etc.) but what we were looking is the ability to iterate change objects (CN123456 Rev 1.1, Rev 1.2, Rev 1.3, etc.)

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:mbonitati)

That's odd.  I see that option as an org admin.  Our preference is set to No.  I also do not see a revision/iteration on the detail page of a CR or CN.  The Version field is also blank in the search results table of a CN.

Then my question is if the preference is set to No is that why we don't see a version?  And if so then can I assume the preference is set to Yes for Mary and Mike since they CAN see the version?

That's correct, if the preference is set to No, then you don't see a revision/letter in the details page and search results table will appear blank.

If you set this preference to yes, then revision letter will appear and all the revision will default to initial revision in the series and this will appear in search results,

Thanks

Binesh Kumar

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Never noticed before that change objects are displayed with an Iteration (e.g A.1 or 1.1).  Seems like this must be from using a common component for display only.

We've done about 40,000 CR's in Windchill - all with Revisioning enabled.  Thinking about the comments here and wondering if Iterations would help.

In general, users create change objects and may edit many times, but then submit.  After submission and during routed approvals, no changes are allowed; assume that most approach this way (equivalent to not being able to change a paper document with multiple signatures after obtaining some of the signatures).  Any changes require a new Revision, possibly with edits, then re-submission.  For this reason, I'm not seeing the value of Iterations - but may be missing the point.

A compare tool of some kind would in fact be very helpful.

Note: Another major consideration is the linking between change objects with Revisions.  If for example you have a Problem Report with 2 Revisions, linked to a Change Request with 3 Revisions, linked to a Change Notice with 2 Revisions, and then maybe a Change Task with 2 Revisions >> nagivation is always latest to latest.  Query Builder Reports may or may not grab latest.  Change summary reporting should be examined closely for intent.

Mike - our users are concerned more about the after submission and during routed approvals (but not yet approved) where changes may have to go back to rework (due to reviewers/customers comments).  The customer states they can't really tell what changed since the CN doesn't iterate.  They want some way to distinguish that there have been updates to the change object.  Yes you can put comments on the object that you updated it but if you were to resubmit the CN (for example) to the customer there is no indication on the CN or its history that it has been modified/updated. (For example on documents, during the review cycle, when you add attachments and make changes the document iterates until such time that you release it (Doc 123456 Rev A.1, A.2, A.3).  Once it is released, you would then revise the document. (Doc 123456 Rev B.1)). Our users/customers would like the same concept for change objects (CN123456 Rev 1.1, 1.2, 1.3) and then once it is approved you would revise the change object (CN123456 Rev 2.1).

Valid points - Confirms (as always) that people approach things in different ways - and it requires the system to be very flexible to accomodate.

For now, Only Revisions are available so appears that using the Idea forum is best to request Iterations.  If PTC does add Iterations, hopefully it will allow keeping things as they are (Revisions only) for customers who choose this.

Great discussion.

I agree thanks

I like the idea of having iterations for each change after approval.  For example when you initially hit submit as the assignee, it creates it and every time after that if it gets kicked back.  If an admin must make a change while it is being approved, or after (such as attach documentation), then I think it should definitely maintain both before and after change copies.

With this in place it seems it would be easier to display what changed between approvals (such as compare) so the next person only has to review the changes and can safely not re-review that which they already reviewed.  Long term effect of re-reviewing stuff already reviewed is a big time waster until people realize the time hogging redundancy and re-review everything less so and then be more likely to miss the real changes.

This unfocused redundancy actually creates a situation conducive to burning dollars, or situation conducive to error...then there is the effect of pitting the users, the Admins, and the software developers all against each other.

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
STEVEG
21-Topaz I

As far as I know in version 10.1 it doesn't keep track of what changes on the CR/CN were actually made.  Can anyone confirm or dispute that?

I believe the Change Modification Tracking preference is only related to revising the object.  As Mike stated, "With this preference set to Yes, one sees Change Objects with Revisions".

It doesn't allow for Versions (ex 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc).  Users want to see the change object iterate when they change it (prior to being approved).

We are using 10.2 and our Change Modification Tracking preference is set to Yes. 

Iterations do not display on the actual object but does display when you do searches and within folders.

This is what is confusing to the users.

Top Tags