cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Virtual servers in production

jsteinbach
2-Guest

Virtual servers in production

Hello All, I am wondering how many people are using virtual servers in
your production Windchill environment?

In the near future, I will be looking virtualize our production servers.
I would like to know what kind of issues you experienced when you moved
from physical to virtual servers.

Thanks,

John

Please be advised that this email may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
by email by replying to the sender and delete this message. The
sender disclaims that the content of this email constitutes an offer
to enter into, or the acceptance of, any agreement; provided that the
foregoing does not invalidate the binding effect of any digital or
other electronic reproduction of a manual signature that is included
in any attachment.

1 REPLY 1

John,

We had recently planned to move to a virtual environment. However, during testing we noticed a significant drop in performance when comparing the Virtual system to our current production system (with dedicated hardware).

Working with just the metadata showed comparable performance. But when we ran tests with our CAD data, the response times were 7 to 8 times slower. Specifically, we performed an "Add to Workspace' task with two of our larger assemblies. With dedicated servers the task took a little over a minute. However, when performing the same task on our virtual system it took between 7 and 8 minutes.

We have tried tweaking the configuration settings of the virtual system, but have yet to see any real performance improvement.

Recently we ran across some PTC literature discussing this topic. While I haven't completely finished digesting the material, the main points they make are that you really need to design your virtual environment from the ground up for PDMLink. In fact, if you take all of their recommendations into account, it almost sounds as if you end up with - A dedicated system.

While we haven't given up on the idea of 'Going Virtual', we are a lot less hopeful that it makes since for a production system. However, I still believe it has promise as a development system, since you can effectively create 'restore points' for your virtual image.

Steve

Top Tags