cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WGM with Inventor: how to map custom parameters from Inventor to Windchill if the parameter contains a special character like a spacing

SOLVED
Highlighted

WGM with Inventor: how to map custom parameters from Inventor to Windchill if the parameter contains a special character like a spacing

I'm investigating the use of the WGM with Inventor.

The Inventor files carry a number of custom parameters of which some have a parameter name that contains a blank space, e.g. 'Treatment process"

Problem now is how to define a Windchill attribute (in version 10.2) so I can capture the value of this parameter.

Any parameter that has a name which does not carry a special character and so complies to the rules of Windchill attribute definition can be captured easily (either implicitly or explicitly).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: WGM with Inventor: how to map custom parameters from Inventor to Windchill if the parameter contains a special character like a spacing

After retesting it seems it does work by explicit attribute mapping after all.

The internal IBA name in Windchill cannot contain any special characters like blanks, but when using explicit mapping for an authoring application (in this case Inventor) and entering the proper (case-sensitive) name of the targeted parameter, after checking-in the Inventor file, the parameter value is properly propagated into the IBA.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: WGM with Inventor: how to map custom parameters from Inventor to Windchill if the parameter contains a special character like a spacing

After retesting it seems it does work by explicit attribute mapping after all.

The internal IBA name in Windchill cannot contain any special characters like blanks, but when using explicit mapping for an authoring application (in this case Inventor) and entering the proper (case-sensitive) name of the targeted parameter, after checking-in the Inventor file, the parameter value is properly propagated into the IBA.

Jan Van Koetsem,

Can you show an example screenshot in Type/Attribute Manager. We are looking at putting Inventor files into our Windchill instance. A quick screenshot might be sufficient to get me started without having to "open the book". Thanks!

Hi Ben,

In type & attribute manager, add an attribute to the CAD type as normal. Once added (and still in edit mode) select the newly added attribute and in the top-right window, search for the application you want to connect with (in this case Autodesk Inventor). In the field next to the application's label, enter the name of the attribute as defined in the application.

Inventor attribute mapped to Windchill.JPG

After a "save" and "done you're set to go

Jan,

I got that part. I was a little more curious of an example attribute - the syntax specifically. For example, is a value such as "iProperties.mass" appropriate? Or maybe just "mass"? I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Re: WGM with Inventor: how to map custom parameters from Inventor to Windchill if the parameter cont

@BenPerry   Did you ever figure out what syntax to use for Inventor?  I'm also trying to extract Mass from the Inventor File to Windchill.

James

Re: WGM with Inventor: how to map custom parameters from Inventor to Windchill if the parameter cont

No @JHall, I didn't get it figured out.  Sorry.

Hi @JHall@BenPerry,

Attaching  snapshot from the Windchill Help Guide. Hope it resolves your query.

Regards,
Pankaj

Thanks @pmooteri  I've used exactly that mapping and my PTC Partner reviewed the attribute, but still it does not function.  We can't figure out why.  Smiley Sad

James

Hi!

Probably shouldn't step in yet as we're not quite there yet, but I'm testing something like this:

- In order to get the attribute linked to Windchill it should be in iProperties in Inventor. To do this add for the .ipt iLogic rule:

iProperties.Value("Custom","Mass")=iProperties.Mass

- in Windchill Type and Attribute Management create IBA "Mass", add to CAD doc, on the right pane map to Inventor attribute "Mass"

- add to CAD layouts

Interested to hear how you finalise this, if it helps   Smiley Wink

Announcements

Thingworx Navigate content has a new home! Click here to access the new Thingworx Navigate forum! ______________________________ Check out the Windchill Tips Board! We're talking about Whirlpool's use of digital twin, augmented reality, and data-driven design!

The NAVIGATE WORKING GROUP is here! Come innovate with PTC!