cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

What is the main difference between Documents and Reference Documents?

ShawnPete
1-Newbie

What is the main difference between Documents and Reference Documents?

My company has just begun to use Windchill. Prior to this we were using Pro/Intralink to store CAD data. Now that we have fully migrated to Windchill, the company would like to begin adding in design documentation for the CAD objects.

I can create new documents, but what is the difference between Documents and Reference Documents?

2 REPLIES 2

The explanation for this from PTC takes about 12 pages and has dozens of diagrams. It's my favorite question for PTC.

The distinction only matters if you are using (or ever use) WTParts. Assume that you will use them even if not now.

From a WTPart, the Revision of a Document that is listed does not change if the Document's life moves on.

From a WTPart, the Revision of a Reference Document that is listed is the latest Released.

So, a Document acts like CAD. A Reference Document floats to latest.

Use a Document where for a Part at Rev C, the associated Document also needs to be Rev C (all CAD is this way).

Use a Reference Document for something like a general inpection procedure that you may want to change to Rev F while the Part is still at Rev C.

That is a VERY helpful answer. I believe I have a good handle on the difference now, at least generically.

Top Tags