cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

What will you do when Microsoft ends support for IE9?

jmomber
9-Granite

What will you do when Microsoft ends support for IE9?

We are currently running Windchill 10.1 M040 and Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M200 on Windows 7 machines. The company would like to upgrade to the IE11, however with our configuration, the highest IE version we can use and still be supported by PTC is IE 9 (limited by Pro). Of course the problem with IE 9 is that Microsoft is ending support in January.

PTC’s stance is upgrade.

We have plans to upgrade, but not before the January deadline. We could also use Mozilla/Chrome, but our company prefers IE as the default browser and distributing SSL certs is a pain when using Mozilla as the internal Pro browser. We could try IE Enterprise Mode, which is supposed to work like compatibility mode I guess, but PTC doesn’t support it. I think we'll probably end up going down the Mozilla route as it is actually supported by PTC.

Anyone else in the same boat? If you are, what is your company’s solution?

24 REPLIES 24

Yes, we are in the same boat.

We are in 10.1 M030 with Creo 2.0

How risky is to continue with IE 9 ?

Be wary of Mozilla now, also.

I've been using it forever and the latest update rendered compatible java for 10.1 M020 unusable. I've gone through quite a few tricks trying to get it working and nothing has worked out so far. Maybe M040 is okay, but check first.

We also have yet to see Chrome work with Creo View. (Not that I've put a lot of effort into getting it to work.)

You might try Firefox ESR.  We are currently using it with Windchill 10.1 m040

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

Chrome isn't going to work.  Google removed the plugin.  See this thread on more information. Re: Creo View messed up with Chrome

ddemay
1-Newbie
(To:jmomber)

Go to 11, update your server via Apache to downgrade IE 11 to function as IE 9 via HTTP header. User agent string is also another way. Take a look at the compatibility mode file used and maintained by Microsoft...an unoffically supported backdoor, but the web server settings are the easiest.   Google will return a trillion examples.

ddemay
1-Newbie
(To:ddemay)

Here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj676913%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

If I was in Michigan, you would owe me lunch.  Kidding, I did post this a long time ago, buried in the archives. 

What about Creo View? Did you run into problems with Creo View? (I've changed the Apache config as suggested but now Creo View keeps throwing "Internet Explorer has stopped working".)

What steps exactly did you take to handle the update?  Within Creo embedded browser, since it is actually an invocation by default to Internet Explorer, F12 should still work, all settings of the browser should be reviewed before dismissing compatibility mode.

It may be a different problem with Creo View crashing IE. Looking into it now.

BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:DonSenchuk)

Creo View client will not launch from IE11 and WC10.1.  I sympathize with any large company that is being forced to IE11 and still running WC10.1.  There really is no option except to upgrade to 10.2 or higher.  Creo Parametric has a config setting to run IE11 embedded browser in IE9 comp mode...but nothing like this for Creo View. 

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:BillRyan)

We have many hundreds of users on IE11 using Creo View each day with Windchill 10.1 M040 - without issue it seems.  Creo users also have the windows_browser_type config option in place, using the bundled browser.

Maybe it is M020 of WC10.1. Are they launching from the embedded Creo Parametric Browser or the external browser?  We've got users testing IE11 with failed attempts to open Creo View 2 M040.  I searched the compat matrixes and the Tech support to not find anything to resolve the issue.  The matrix states IE11 is not supported with WC10.1.  It would be good to know what settings need to be put in place to make this work.   

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:BillRyan)

In the case for my comment, only launching from external browser.  We have never been able to get Creo View to launch inside of Pro/E or Creo - but that's generally ok.

I now see David's note above about Apache which may be the solution.  In our case, we are trying to upgrade to beat the deadline, so we really don't need IE11 to work with WC10.1.  Thanks for the confirmation, its nice to know that we do have an option as a backup plan. 

Hello Mike,

So your Creo users are using the embedded Mozilla browser and it is working well?  Did you have to do anything besides setting that config option?  I had a few guys on my team try this and they had numerous issues with blank browser screens, and some other weird things going on so they ended up going back to IE9.   Can you tell me what Creo version and build you are using.  We are using Creo2 M120 and M160 and have Windchill 10.1 M040.  Any help greatly appreciated.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:xmurray)

Long running thread with multiple sub threads.  This one was started at my previous company (Alcon) where we had WF5 and WC 10.1.  Currently at Edwards where we have Creo 3.0 and WC 10.2.  At Alcon, we were forced into this because all had to go from IE9 to IE11 (no choice).  It seemed to work for all w/o issue.

Great. We are indeed on 10.1 M020.

Any way to open the drawing PDFs directly in Adobe Reader without Creo View?

‌To open/download the PDFs under the Content tab find the representation table, right click and pick File in the menu.

We use this with 10.1 M030, haven't used M020 but suppose it can do the same.

Nice. That does work the same in M020.

Now I just need a way to open that PDF from the search results table instead of having to go to the Content tab.

I wonder why no one is mentioning IE10.  We are on Windchill 10.1 M040 - Creo Elements/PRO 5.0 M260 - Windows7 and running IE9 ánd IE10, both without problems (unless for the IT manager, who is eager to go to IE11).

I think this is because MS stopped support for both IE9 and IE10 at the same time. 

Jamie,

If you are only referring to the embedded browser in Pro/E (Creo), then switching the configuration option "windows_browser_type" to use the mozilla engine should work.

Config Option:

windows_browser_type mozilla_based_browser

Note that this is NOT Mozilla Firefox, and you do not need to install anything, PTC includes it in the installation.

Creo 3.0 switches from Mozilla to Chrome and the option to use it is: chromium_browser

By switching this to not use IE, you should be able to upgrade your standalone IE browser to 11 without impacting Pro/E (Creo)

Marc, Do you know a way for Creo2 to use Firefox ESR as the internal browser?  I have tried the Mozilla setting but it has a lot of issues. Whats my Browser returns Mozilla 2.   I downloaded the newest Firefox ESR 45 but not sure how to make Creo2 use it.

I have Windchill 10.1 M040.   Creo2 M120.

Looking for any option that works, upgrading to M050 will require expensive consulting wich i would rather put towards Windchill 11 next year.

Steve,  I don't know of anyway to tell Creo to use Firefox.  The option I mentioned earlier uses a browser engine supplied by PTC.

-marc

Top Tags