cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill 10

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Windchill 10

Just wondering who has Windchill 10 in production use yet. What issues have you found?

7 REPLIES 7

Mike,

We plan to go live this summer with 10.0 M030.
We spent 2 days workshoping with our key users, and for the moment we opened 190 cases at TS and awaiting almost 50% by patchs/fix.
So far in M010 too much blocker issues have been found : Search, ESI, usability ...

Cheers,
Morgan

loomax68
5-Regular Member
(To:MikeLockwood)

Hi Morgan,

we're also planning to go on Windchill 10. Can you give a little bit more details on your problems regarding Search, ESI, usability ?

Herbert, all,

I received a lot of direct messages, and it seems that my message was probably not clear enough, and probably scared some of you.
Two years ago we went from 8.0 to 9.0 without enough tests and discovered bugs after golive, bugs that would have been easily found with enough testing with the correct people.
My message was just a warning for people about to move to 10.0 to be sure that their scope is operational in this MOR.
If you're using Windchill only for CAD data management you will be fine, but if you plan to use others features of Windchill you need to check.
For example :
ACL : Mike early talked about CS31715 If one has preference Latest Version Search = Yes and that user does not have Read for the Latest Iteration of the Latest Revision, the system returns no search results.
Solr : CS28264 Solr keyword search may not give any result if two keywords are using wildcards
ESI : SPR 2092747 Contributing content link created between a WTPART and a CadDocument will not be collected by ESI for publishig

We are about to move to 9.1 to 10.0 in August 2012 and so are deeply testing Windchill 10.0 with our key users prior to go live.
When moving from one version of Windchill to another one and using a large scope of Windchill features, it is intended to raised issues.

Linus Torvalds said "Nobody actually creates perfect code the first time around, except me. But there's only one of me".
A software is never bugfree, as comparison I just had a look at metalink and see that Oracle released 3 patches that covered 7 bugs since this Monday just for 11.1.0.7 version.

Many bugs that we have opened since F000 are fixed in M020, and the remaining one will be fixed in M030, which generally starts to be a mature version in Windchill (9.0 M050, 9.1M040).
With our target in 10.0 M030 I'm confident that our golive will be successful next summer.

Cheers,
Morgan

We're just starting (next week) to outline the specific tests that we need to do. I'm happy to share all that we come up with - we'd also appreciate having same from others. Morgan - do you have anything created now that you could possibly provide?

Just one new one to add that we reviewed yesterday on a Live Meeting with PTC:
Users in Organization, Groups display in 9.1 with the full name (e.g. Joe Smith). In 10.0 right after the upgrade, they display as the login (e.g. in our case, us413523). Also, in Participant Administrator (used to be Principal), there is no longer a "Full Name" - it's replaced by separate First and Last fields. These are blank after the upgrade but should be filled in via the system parsing (watch out for Full names that have for example middle initials or middle names - who knows how they will parse). In any case, because of this, when selecting users for teams, etc., the system displays a bunch of question marks. They recognized that this is a bug in the upgrade software; I'm putting in a tech support call on this today.

PTC does a great job of making the SPR's available; but, we as the user community could help each other a whole lot by pooling our resources on (informal) test scripts or at least checklists of things to look at and exercise.

You mean like this Mike? This is from a fresh install of WC 10.0 (not an upgrade from 9.1) so this leads me to believe that it has something to do with the attribute mapping of the EnterpriseLDAP Adapter to the corporate LDAP system.

[cid:image001.png@01CC8A81.CC48D040]

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | o: 616.698.3766 | c: 616.947.2110
[cid:image002.jpg@01CC8A81.CC48D040]

Yes, exactly this.
By the way, on an upgraded system, you cannot leave this UI for editing an existing user without filling in these two fields.

We looked at the WTUSER table in the database together - some user's fields were filled in with FIRST, LAST (new columns) but others were not.

One example of the ??? displaying various places:
[cid:image003.png@01CC8A69.23874AD0]

I'll be more than happy to share our findings with other active users on 10.0 migration.

Maybe we can start sharing by email, and see how to share with the community later on.

Morgan

Top Tags