cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill 11 with Multiple Oracle instace

jselvaraj
5-Regular Member

Windchill 11 with Multiple Oracle instace

Hi All,

I have installed a split PDMLink installation with Oracele 12c standard in one machine and WC Pdmlink 11 in an another machine.

Now I would like to install another windchill installation using the existing oracle installation.

Can you please some one tell what I should do?

1. Use the existing oracle instance and create a new user

. User the existing oracle installation and create a new database and a new user.

From the Instalation document I came to know that windchill with single Database instance with Multiple Windchill schema is not supported.

Thanks In advance.

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jselvaraj)

You need to create a new instance of Oracle on your DB machine for each install of Windchill. You can NOT share the DB instance between Windhills. I have done this in a test environment when I migrated from 9.1 to 10. I loaded the 9.1 data, which was in Oracle 10, into a new instance of Oracle 11 and then created another instance for the WC10 data. Exported from the 9.1, imported to the 10.0 and ran the schema update tool. All worked fine.

In Oracle, the schema is owned by a user. In a single instance you can create multiple users and use those users with multiple instances of Windchill. We have one instance shared with 2 WC10.2 and 1 WC11 Windchill dev environments.

All you need to do is create user manually and in PSI select the option to use existing database user

jselvaraj
5-Regular Member
(To:BineshKumar1)

Hi Ben, Binesh,

Thanks for your quick response.

As I installed oracle on a remote machine, I run PSI on the oracle server and crated new database, Windchill user using PSI and completed the first Windchill Installation.

Do I need to run the PSI to create the Database Instance or User again on the oracle server else should I simply run the create_user.sql?

Will there any problem if the tablespace are shared across the oracle  users(schma) or Instance (SID)?

And can we use the same port number (1521 default) for the new user too?

Thanks in advance for your response again.

BR,John

If you want to create a new db instance, the run PSI and give a different set of data files. If you want to create another user and schema, then run create_user.sql.

I assume you are not running two prod. installs. In any case, creating another database instance using PSI gives you the ability to  manage/dedicate resources for each of the instances. 

We haven't come across any issue with Windchill sharing same instances, but again these are development server with a very less usage.

Top Tags