cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Windchill CAD Worker Monitoring

robertepeirce
1-Newbie

Windchill CAD Worker Monitoring

Does anyone know of a way to monitor when a CAD worker stops publishing? I have had instances where the CAD workers are still running, but have stopped publishing. Simply putting a queue monitor threshold will not work as there are times when 10,000+ objects may be checked in a one time.

It would be perfect if there were a way to show that a worker has not published a job for x minutes.

Any insight or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7

That's a very good topic.

We also have multiple issues with worker that stop working without any reason, most of the time a reboot of the server is needed.

So i'm also interested in this one if anybody have an idea.

Morgan

I heard PTC system monitor will monitor workers in a upcoming release.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

I believe that there are better ways of monitoring Windchill with much less overhead than the PTC monitor. However, it does a decent job monitoring other aspects, but it comes at the price of performance and much of it is not necessary.

I am also interested, the users kind of just accept that PV and thumbnails aren't working and don't tell me.

There must be some sort of a queue and "listener" for the daemon that we could watch and launch an alert?

If not, we should invent one! : )

On a related topic, does anyone know how to let a user manually specify which worker to launch? Or tie a worker to a specific state?

E.g., I want proe2pv every time someone checks in (default behavior), however, I would only like to generate a PDF or STP file upon release?

Thanks,

Dave

In Reply to Robert Peirce:

I believe that there are better ways of monitoring Windchill with much less overhead than the PTC monitor. However, it does a decent job monitoring other aspects, but it comes at the price of performance and much of it is not necessary.

David T. Francis

We had the same issue with CADWorkers when we were on 9.1 M050 w/ WF5 M070. The queue entries would stay in EXECUTING state and never finish, even though the worker was done processing the job. Although we never really found a "solution", we did create a couple of work arounds.

1. Created an additional BGMS for publishing only. This allowed us to simply restart that newBGMS when the jobs starting clogging up and not touch the rest of the Windchill system.

2. Created a standalone CADWorker monitor program. The C# app visited the Publish Monitor URL and did a "screen scrape" to read each publishing job in the table. If the job was EXECUTING, we checked the start time and compared it to the current time. If it had been "processing" for more than "X" number of minutes, we sent an alert. Since we've moved to Windchill 10.1 M020 and WF5 M160, we haven't had any problems with the CADWorkers getting stuck so we never updated the monitor.

We've also made the request to have CADWorkers monitored in the PSM. 🙂

~Jamie

Hi Jamie,

It sounds like you folks wrote a really nice program to monitor our exact issue. Is there any chance you would be willing to share it? The system we have the issue with is still at 9.1.

It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

I'd have to dig up the code. What's your e-mail address?

Top Tags