cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill Liscense and Auditing

vmhala
6-Contributor

Windchill Liscense and Auditing

Hi Windchillers,

Need your help for Windchill license compliance. I have developed custom report which list's out the last logins of the users from DB's Audit records. This is a query builder report. The aim is to disable all users who have not logged in to Windchill since last 6 months.

However i have noticed that if i dump a report of Groups (in DS) and the users in this groups (from AD) into an excel; there are  many users listed there which have been disabled in AD. Note that they are not disabled in Windchill but disabled in AD

QUESTION 1) . A login event is not generated by such users but notifications are being sent to them ; they being part of some group. Do such members consume Windchill License ?

QUESTION 2) How do you classify the audited user list as in 4 distinct roles, (Heavy user, Light user, View & Print user and External user) ? Windchill is licensed as per these roles.

QUESTION 3) How to best generate the compliance report and optimize license compliance ? What process do you follow to maintain accurate Windchill role count ?

Thanks,

Vaibhav

1 REPLY 1

This is my understanding

QUESTION 1) . A login event is not generated by such users but notifications are being sent to them ; they being part of some group. Do such members consume Windchill License ?

Yes, they do. If you have an active user in WTUser table, it is a license.

QUESTION 2) How do you classify the audited user list as in 4 distinct roles, (Heavy user, Light user, View & Print user and External user) ? Windchill is licensed as per these roles.

I am not able to make a sense of some of the definitions, but you can Refer to  https://support.ptc.com/support/customer_agreements/basis_files/jan-11/Licensing-Basis-en.pdf

QUESTION 3) How to best generate the compliance report and optimize license compliance ? What process do you follow to maintain accurate Windchill role count ?

Disable/Delete inactive/unused Windchill accounts. If you can't delete, put them in a group called inactive and deny the access from webserver.

Top Tags