cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Windchill Product Point and VMware

ptc-2832257
1-Newbie

Windchill Product Point and VMware

Does anyone run WCPP in a virtual environment? I currently have a server up and running with everything on it. SQL, SharePoint and WCPP. The 3 users complain constantly about the box lately. How they are "disconnected", "it's frozen". Most of the time I see the "w3wp.exe" killing the proc etc. SQL seems to be running steady. I am trying to get a SQL and SharePoint resource in so I can build a new server. The current one is a 32BIT 2003 Server R2, 4GB RAM Any advice on setting this up would be great.
6 REPLIES 6

Hi Dave, I have installed WPP in a virtual environment for testing. Server 2003, 64bit, 3GB, SQL Standard, WSS 30. (not MOSS). For testing it is ok, but for production work not enough memory. I think the problem is the size of RAM. Regards Frank

Hello Dave, A useful guide for sizing your server hardware depending on requirements can be found here http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/98466/en/WindchillProductPointServerHardwareSizingGuide1.1.pdf Hope this helps. Regards, Alan

Hi All,

I have built a Virtual Server using Windows Server 2003, MSQL 2008, Sharepoint 3.0 and WPP 1.1 M021. The problem I'm having is logging into ProductPoint from a client on a different domain and wondered if anybody has come across this or has any suggestons?

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

I had the same problem. I reason was, that the WPP Admin User, who managed the user, don't have access to the domain of the user. So it is not possible to add the user to the web application WPP ...

A solution is, that the WPP admin is a member of the same domain like the user who will get access to WPP.

Regards Frank

Hi Frank,

Basically there is an issue with Server 2008, Share Point 3.0 authenticating with Windows 7

This can be found on the net, but I'm still waiting for a resolution as people will be moving to this hardware spec in the future.

Windchill ProductPoint is supported for use in virtual environments. Actually, many fo the PTC QA servers are VMWare servers, so not only supported but well tested.

Top Tags