cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Windchill Report - tables cannot be merged.

ptc-6673509
1-Newbie

Windchill Report - tables cannot be merged.

Hi All,

I have just started using Windchill Quality Solutions to do reliability calculations. I am trying to produce a report using the report wizard for the "Mission Reliability Results". When I get to the very end an error dialog is displayed saying, "Your report cannot be generated as it is currently designed. It contains data fields from the following tables: Prediction Parts, Mission Reliability Results. The data in these table cannot be merged together in one report."

Now the fields I want in my report seem quite reasonable, Description, Category, and Subcategory (in Prediction Parts), MTBF and Reliability (Mission Reliability Results).

Why can't I produce this simple report? Is there a workaround? Am I trying to do the wrong thing?

I realize that I could export all the tables to Excel. Import them into Access and produce the desired report myself but I would have thought that Windchill could do this for me without all the bother.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Regards,

Jack Davis

3 REPLIES 3

Hi again,

I have a partial answer to my own question but it isn't solved yet. Here is what I discovered: If you choose items from ONLY the Prediction Parts (like Name, MTBF Predicted, Category, SubCategory) and then DON'T transfer anything to the "Selected Fields" window in the "Specify Data Grouping" window then you will get a report.

If you transfer even one thing to the "Selected Fields" then you get the spurious error message that your report contains data fields from System Tree Items now.

So the workaround is this: Don't put anything in the "Selected Fields" window in the Wizard.

This still doesn't fix the problem of trying to display (say) both the MTBF from Prediction Parts and MTBF from the phase. According to the help file you can add things from other Table types to your report.

Regards,

Jack Davis

I'm assuming that he is working with Query Builder reports (Site, Util, Repor Mgr UI).

I don't (yes) know anything at all about Windchill Quality Solutions but the concepts should carry over from other areas of Windchil.

These reports are incredibly important and useful, but take a lot of time /effort to develop and the documentation is minimal.

Please put him in touch w/me if you like - I can walk him thru a lot general concepts and how-to for these reports.

Hi Mike,

I am using the Report Wizard from the Tools Menu. What it does is ask you which table you want: any filters that might apply, Fields (to group the data), then a sorting table, Layout (horizontal/portrait etc), and a style and title. The wizard creates a layout which looks a lot like the layout manager in Access with a header/details/footer/summary. The problem is that when you select fields to group the data and then a sorting table you get an invalid configuration out of the wizard.

I have come to the conclusion that the only way to get a sorted table out is to manually configure that report layout tool (which from your post appears to be something called Query Builder reports?) to get what I want.

The problem is that the help files with PTC Windchill Quality Solutions assume that the wizard is all you need to make reports so they don't document the use of the underlying query builder reports thing. If you can point me to some documentation on how to use this reports tool I can probably figure out what to do.

(I can still export the whole works to Excel and Access and force it to make the reports for me but I was kind of hoping it could all be done from within Windchill)

Anyhow Mike, if you have something on how to use the Query Builder I (and any community members who are also struggling) would be grateful!

Regards,

Jack Davis

P.S. I finally have my own support account from Windchill so I can actually post in my own name!

Top Tags