cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Windchill and thingworx integration (pvz files)

Jamal8548
12-Amethyst

Windchill and thingworx integration (pvz files)

Version: Windchill 12.0

Use Case: Dear Community, I would like to integrate the windchill with thingworx. My usecase is that we already have done the part where we have pvz files in windchill. I want to integrate it with thingworx that i can get the pvz files from windchill so that i would be able to use them in vuforia studio. I have been working on thingworx and vuforia studio since more then a year and i dont know how to get this connectivity done between thingworx and windchill so that from expereince i would be able to get these file dynamically with the help of thingworx. Anyone can please help me to do this task.

Description:

We are using vuforia studio to show models and animations from pvz files for our customers and we have a case where we can expect changes often so our designers do the changes in the animation and then the pvz file would be saved in windchill and i want to get these files dynamically in experience with the use of thingworx so that customer can be able to use it and see changes and i dont have to upload these files everytime in the experience. So i want connectivity of windchill and thingworx so that i can have the pvz files dynamically in vuforia studio. This could be the max information which i have provided for my usecase.

11 REPLIES 11
jlecoz
13-Aquamarine
(To:Jamal8548)

To extract pvz files programmatically from Windchill you can use Windchill Rest Services (WRS).

WRS knowledge hub on tech support site:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS254366?source=search

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I
(To:jlecoz)

Hi @Jamal8548 

You can define a SSO with Windchill and Thingworx

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS268105?

Then you can use the Windchill Rest Services WRS to get all information  (PVZ)

Then you have to write a code to manipulate with PVZ in the Thingworx to prepare the source files for the vuforia or just send the PVZ to some place and open in Vuforia.

There is not any general integration or functions that can help you to transfer data from Windchill to Voforia.

You have to write own functions for now.

PetrH

Thanks for your answer. I have upload one pvz file in thingworx repositry and wrote a code there in vuforia studio to access it and i am able to see the model in vuforia studio. Now task is that how can i get this pvz (ilu) file which are upload in the windchill to get in there in thingworx? is there any proper documentation for the connectivity. i have checked the documentation and its a massive content there. can you please suggest me something proper steps to achieve this task. Secondly i saw that it needs to be done from thingworx navigate and not thingworx IOT. means thingworx navigatge will use rest api to get the pvz file and upload in the repositry in the thingworx right? would you please let me know about it or thingworx navigate will directly assign the pvz file in vuforia studio... I am confused. 

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @Jamal8548 

It is huge area.

The Thingworx Navigate just use the Windchill RestAPI and it is Thingworx aplication that use SSO authentication with Windchill..

So you can write own function and use the restApi without Navigate but you just need to connect the Thingworx to the Windchill. 

And yes it can be easier to you if the Navigate is installed because there are many examples how to get information from Windchill.

CS356655 - Methods to Integrate Thingworx and Windchill

try to use PTC Knowledge base to get information how to do so.

PetrH

according to my usecase what is the more suitable and easy way to get this task done? as my use case is to get the pvz file only and assign it to vuforia studio in the experience. what would you recommend to me from these two approaches?

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @Jamal8548 

I would write some restApi methods in the thingworx that drill out the information from the Windchill.

yes you would have to provide somehow user and password but it is the easiest way I think

check the RestApi documentation directly in your Windchill server.

https://server.com/Windchill/netmarkets/html/wrs/doc.html

especially Visualization endpoint. 

Sure you have to study how to use other endpoins to get a correct object from Windchill, and then get the representation ID of the object and then download the pvz representation

HelesicPetr_0-1721741983230.png

PetrH

I also have a same idea in my mind to create a user with proper rights in thingworx and then just use the rest API of Windchill to get the object which i want but what do you think should i use the rest API method to get the pvz file and load in vuforia studio without saving it any where.

OR 

Should i get this file with REST API and save it into thingworx repositry and then write another service with which i can use this pvz in the vuforia studio.? I dont know how large can file be...

jlecoz
13-Aquamarine

The PVZ size can differ a lot.

If you are planning to show single component the PVZ contains solely the component geometry. If you display an assembly the PVZ could contain the geometry of all assembly members component.

You should ask to get sample PVZ for the component or assemblies that will be loaded in Vuforia to assess the size.

Also the representation generated from Windchill and stored in PVZ is not always optimized in size for Vuforia. For example if you have a hollowed component you may not want to see the inside with Vuforia. The "inside" is composed of surfaces so it weights, the optimization can remove the inner part of the components to optimize the PVZ size.

Jamal8548
12-Amethyst
(To:jlecoz)

In our company we only show some animation steps in the PVZ file means it contains model and we use to play an animation step to show worker what he has to do so its not that big file and it almost contains 8 or 9 steps but i think it could be big also...

Hi @Jamal8548,

I wanted to see if you got the help you needed.

If so, please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. It will help other members who may have the same question.
Please note that industry experts also review the replies and may eventually accept one of them as solution on your behalf.
Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please pursue the conversation.

Thanks,

Catalina
PTC Community Moderator
rleir
17-Peridot

There is a separate community for Thingworx.  You will get better answers there for this kind of question.

Announcements

Top Tags