cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Windchill checkin not available from workspace and move not available in commonspace for all users

bbennett
3-Visitor

Windchill checkin not available from workspace and move not available in commonspace for all users

I am using Windchill PDMLink Release 12.0 and Datecode with CPS 12.0.2.7

We recently updated our license file and which required some new configurations. In order to get any of my CAD authors to be able to connect to windchill and access the database I had to make them all administrators. I did have them in the following groups. Authors, WL Base Licesne, and WL Creo Data Management, I don't have any users under the WL PDM Link Perm Group. Once I added them to the organization adminisrator group they could then access windchill. However, now from the workspace the checkin button is missing. I can upload from the workspace so I can set folders I want doing that but then I have to checkin from the creo navigation not inside the workspace. Also inside the commonspace the Move command is missing. I need help setting things up correctly.

10 REPLIES 10
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:bbennett)

What does your license Management Info page say? For my users, they need to be in the PTC Creo Data Management and Visualization group AND PTC Windchill Advanced License group. Check to make sure they are also not in View and Print License group.

avillanueva_0-1695132190749.png

This is all I am seeing in my license details.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

No image uploaded.

Capture.JPG

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

I would go back to PTC License management, it looks like your license allocation is not correct. You need a new license file. 

The PDMLink Module license should allow CAD interaction, but do you only have one user in your system? You mention CAD Authors in plural. That table shows that you have not applied the license to any user. Be sure to check that your system is properly licensed. Assign one user to that license profile and verify that you are able to interact with CAD. 

The minimum license you need for CAD interaction depends on which CAD systems you have in use. You should interact with your reseller for this. Here is a brief packaging overview of license capabilities. Your reseller has access to a much more detailed license capabilities matrix. If you're working with WTParts you will need Windchill Advanced as your "base license". For CAD Interaction (outside of the one PDMLink Module license) you will need Windchill Base or Advanced combined with either "Creo Data Management & Visualization" (for Creo), "Multi-MCAD Data Management & Visualization Essentials" (for Inventor, Solidworks, and AutoCAD), or "Multi-MCAD Data Management & Visualization" (for NX and CATIA). 

buenosroas_0-1695195336721.jpeg

If you need time to evaluate which users need which type of licenses you could contemplate to activate an uncapped license file. This will give you a 180 days grace period to run without license enforcement. License your server properly. The PDMLink Module license is a converted license (from the previous Heavy license).

Good luck!

@buenosroas , right, that is an older license option. Newer license configurations are Basic and Advanced. Its been a while but I remember converting to them but am not sure if this was a new requirement to change. Either way, @bbennett mentioned that he recently updated their license file (download) from PTC. I suspect that the number of licenses were not allocated properly to this system, just a count issue. By putting people as Admins, you've effectively made them gods and part of the license exclusion group. Not a good thing and bad things will start happening to your data. @bbennett, what does PTC license management show for your total count of licenses and modules on the license management website?

Permanent heavy and light licenses were converted to the PDMLink Module licenses.

I totally agree on checking the license count. @bbennett: you should check out the Allocation table for License Management at PTC and verify how many licenses you have available. I have seen that licenses have become "lost" after importing a new license file, but they reappeared with the next license file I imported.

If you have a TEST environment at hand you can run the same license file on both servers and still be compliant. Since the license response file does not come with a manifest you can test that the license file contains all the licenses you need by importing it to the TEST environment first.  This is particularly important to avoid deploying a malformed license file to your PROD server. 

buenosroas_0-1695207770448.png

It is also through this table you may generate an uncapped license file. 

Hi

The easiest way is a online retrieving licenses. 

If the server has a internet connection then just login with your company PTC account and the licenses will be retrieved automatically. 

I have experience that sometimes the licenses had been bought but the system did not reflect that agreement and PTC License support had to correct the windchill license type and count. 

PetrH

Capture.JPG

Top Tags