cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Windchill scripting

Sarah
1-Newbie

Windchill scripting

As a User has anyone done Windchill scripting??

Is it easy Or is it " I wish Windchill scripting was very easy to allow any Windchill users to write utilities, unfortunately it isn't. Hence we need a team to support it and it takes lot of time and effort to deploy and fix things"

I have approx 230 docs with over 600 files as attachments.

Any thoughts/feedback welcome

9 REPLIES 9

Unless there are new things in 10, there isn't really scripting. You can write simple client applications or admin helpers to fix things. You post indicated that you are trying to load data. I have written small programs using the Windchill API do handle mass renaming/numbering or changing document types. Once you have the basic framework, they are as easy as it gets to write but still requires API knowledge and some Java programming.

Thanks for your response

OK perhaps scripting is the incorrect wording, what we are trying to do is mass importing of files under different types and states. Is this possible without API's and JAVA? If we followed the API route, I would imagine our administrator would be the only person to have permissions to do this, but as a user is there any other way?

HI i had been given a task of making a library in windchill with more than 18k files at that time i used DataLoad - Classic .

DataLoad is a integrated solution for loading in browser forms to load data and configuration.

i had earlier used it in oracle,it Improves performance & reliability.

With windchill i have used it for multiple renaming/numbering, attribute update or changing states etc.

DataLoad Classic is free even for commercial use but there isn't any user support for the product .

DataLoad Professional package provides unlimited support calls.

The DataLoad tool looks interesting. Loading data can be accomplished via CSV import files. This should be documented. The CSV files is then converted using a utility to an XML file (wt.load.util.CSV2XML). Then you can use LoadFromFile util to import the data. This should allow you to mass import documents but there is a bit of trial and error. Are you loading any attributes with that? Is it just primary content (meaning no attachments)? That makes it simplier. Also, are all these documents the same soft-type? I can send some samples if you go this route.

Thanks Guys - your messages have been really helpful - we are having a look

dear, can you send me some examples , I have encounter the problem to mass import EPMDocuments to windchill.

Hello,

I'm also in the same problematic to achieve to this mass import.

The documents soft-type will be the same, with only a primary content.

So, could it be possible to send me some samples that you already have please ?

Best regards,

With Windchill 10 scripting is easier than ever before. Plus all Windchill 10 scripts are backwards compatible with older scripts so you never need to rewrite a script again. Windchill scripts allow you to automate many processes and is much easier than accessing the Java API.

Where can I find information for scripting in Windchill 10.1?

I looking for a script to bulk rename wtparts (number & name) based on an excel file.

Thanks in advance.

Top Tags