cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Windchill search

Dennis_V_NL
5-Regular Member

Windchill search

Dear all, first of all: have a nice Christmass day! I fill my time in between visiting friends and family with some Windchill challenges:

- One of the users reported that the Structure within Windchill sometimes does not reflect the structure of the CAD model.

I did some research, looked for CAD settings like "Exclude from Bill of Materials" and eventually found out that 4 CAD parts were checked-in but where not associated with their Windchill parts. The Windchill parts are available. So it seems the user did not use auto-associate at first  ckech-in. 

Once found these issue's are easy to solve. But now I want to check all server data for more non-associated CAD data and make sure this can not happen in the future. And with these topics I can use some help:

- how can I make a Windchill query searching for CAD models that are not associated to a Windchill part?

- how can I restrict users from checking in CAD parts without associating the parts to a WTpart?, difficulty is that there are some "prototype" CAD parts that people should be able to check-in without associating. These prototype-CAD parts all have numbers starting with a "D" 

Best regards,

And wishing all happy holidays!!

Dennis Varkeviser

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:Dennis_V_NL)

This join using query builder will give you a list of all parts associated to CAD:

avillanueva_0-1703598245352.png

What you then need to do is construct a query for all cad docs who are not in that query above. You can use a subquery to do this. You can also add any other conditions you need to exclude those prototype parts.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:Dennis_V_NL)

This join using query builder will give you a list of all parts associated to CAD:

avillanueva_0-1703598245352.png

What you then need to do is construct a query for all cad docs who are not in that query above. You can use a subquery to do this. You can also add any other conditions you need to exclude those prototype parts.

Dennis_V_NL
5-Regular Member
(To:avillanueva)

Thanks for the reply, I will have to dive deeper into Windchill queries to resolve. 

Once you have the report templates built, you can setup Data Monitors. This can be set to automatically run on a schedule, and send an email if any results are found.

We have a long list of data monitors to check for various data consistency errors. We've been finding better ways over time to prevent the issues from occurring in the first place, but it's still nice to have automated checking running regularly.

@Dennis_V_NLTry something like https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS268136.. you can add that IBA in CAD template and make it mandatory in Type and Attribute Manager. OR other option could be to customize Auto Associate Part Finder Creator.

Thanks,
Sandeep Desai

I will look into the article you mentioned. Thanks!

Top Tags