cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Workflow: Remove Role from Activity Participants if Role is empty

SteveVinyard
1-Newbie

Workflow: Remove Role from Activity Participants if Role is empty

Hi everyone, I have a “Setup CRB” activity. This activity edit has the ability to see the 10 different roles (purchasing, QA, Engineering Lead etc) that are the participants in the FOLLOWING activity which of course is the “CRB Review”. So during the “Setup CRB” activity, the assignee gets the tasks and looks at the participant members list. He/She will see all of the roles filled out (they are populated context roles) and then remove the various personnel not required for this CRB review. Now this works well enough BUT if a role is empty it then fails over and sends that task to the responsible role. This creates an issue. So here is the solution I’m thinking of using:

I am trying to build a snippet of code that I can place in the start transition of the “CRB Review” activity that will grab all of the participant roles, cycle through them and if they are empty, they will be simply be removed from the required participant list.

If this is too big of a code issue there is a plan B that would allow the CRB Review activity to be broken out into 10 different tasks with a code check that looks to see if a desired role is populated or not and if not, then simply route around the activity and skip it. I have the code to handle that.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Regards,

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Steve,

Were you able to get Option A working?

Can you please share the code if possible.

Thanks

Pooja

satre-2
1-Newbie
(To:psah)

Pooja,

I don’t know your exact requirement. However instead of removing role form activity participant, you can create one workflow variable of team template type and  calculate the team before workflow activity in expression robot and then assigned activity to variable Team Template

teamworkflow.jpg

Hope it helps

Thanks

Shreyas

Ahh ha ha! The code "spider" that you gave me, if you remember (what you mentioned above as plan B). We implemented that in both our CRB and CIB teams and despite all the setup work I and the system users actually prefer it; it let me put explicit, unique instructions directly relevant to each role in their corresponding tasks and has therefore drastically improved the quality of our changes, because the specific questions each role has to answer is right there in front of them.

Honestly I'm surprised you're trying to do something that isn't the spider in that situation.

Daryl

Top Tags