cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

data extraction from external system.

lvl_cap
4-Participant

data extraction from external system.

I am using Windchill PDMLink Release 12.0 and Datecode with CPS 12.0.2.4

We need to extract part structure and associated EPMDocument and content from structure though external system.
We saw that we can retrieve information from structure through WebService but we cannot extract primary content of EPMDocument (we are using Creo CAD Data). Is there a way to do it without customization of Windchill ?

18 REPLIES 18
Ajit_Kulkarni
14-Alexandrite
(To:lvl_cap)

Hello,

So there are following ways to extract EPMDocuments data from Windchill.

1. Use Windchill bulk migrator 

2. Using creo to manually download it

3. Use Windchill extension https://windchill-extensions.ptc.com/get-view?wex-id=com.wincomplm.wex-cadquick.release&wc-version=WIND112 

Hope this helps. 

lvl_cap
4-Participant
(To:Ajit_Kulkarni)

Hello,

Thanks for the answer, but unfortunately, all theses way require manual action. The aim there is to automate the extraction.

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @lvl_cap 

So you need some customization to automate your work. 

Also keep in mind, that any changes to a CAD Attributes, file names, names that are done in Windchill needs to be updated in the model by Workgroup manager. 

So if you download directly some CAD Model, it can contains not up-to date information. 

PetrH

d_graham
17-Peridot

The short answer is NO.

How would it ever be possible for an external application to pull data from Windchill without a customization? 🤷‍♂️
Think about it, you have some (unnamed) application. It has zero knowledge that Windchill is even a thing, let alone the ability to pull data.

Isn’t this a customization of the external app that’s pulling the data from Windchill. Not a Windchill customization.

lvl_cap
4-Participant
(To:d_graham)

Here my constraint is to not impact, customize the existing Windchill system, the external application is a fully customized app, so odata Web services was an option to retrieve data, but for the CAD elements we can't do it through Web Services for example so I need to find another solution.

Let's say the only way is to customize Windchill, what your recommandation ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

d_graham
17-Peridot

You need to hire someone who knows Windchill and the Windchill database inside and out.

And also knows how to connect to database.

From there a JDBC to the Windchill database can be made from the external app with sql calls to get whatever you want.

Find someone who knows what they are doing and pay them to set this up.

lvl_cap
4-Participant

Thanks for your answer,

connect directly to Windchill Database maybe a bit overkilled and may be a not acceptable solution in term of security.

I will investigate on the Windchill customization part to trigger extraction to a shared directory from a custom Web Service.

d_graham
17-Peridot

That can be done to, but the data will not be real time.

Are you thinking scheduling exports on a daily basis?  What's the plan?

If you are going that route, you'll still in-depth knowledge of the database and also Java and the Windchill APIs to get the metadata and content.

Also, as @HelesicPetr mentioned, if any CAD was renumbered and the drawings or assemblies that use it are not processed through WGM those drawing and assemblies will be looking for the old CAD number not the new CAD number.

Again, you really need someone who knows what they are doing if you are going to pull this off.

lvl_cap
4-Participant

Current use case is we have a list of object type, name and revision and we want to retrieve their metadata and CAD data, this is only proof of concept studies to see what solution is preferred with less customization of the solution as possible, we have the knowledge about Windchill APIs, databases and strong knowledge of Java, but I don't know for now what are the recommandations from PTC on the lasts version 12+, for a modern integration in a wider ecosystem.

d_graham
17-Peridot

If you have string knowledge of Java, Windchill database and it’s APIs, why ask the question?

Just do it.

lvl_cap
4-Participant

To have other point of view and have some advice, its not because you know to do something that you should do that thing, sometime your knowledge are deprecated or may be challenged.

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @lvl_cap 

I have an another point of a view. 

Why do you need a CAD outside the Windchill?

Just allow the access to a Windchill to a person who needs it. 

And I mean just allow an access to a supplier organization. 

PetrH

You can setup one creo box like a CAD Worker which will extract Creo data from Windchill and put it on shared drive. Any other system can read from that shared drive. 

You will need some triggering mechanism for  sending the job to the Creo box. You can achieve the same through either workflow or listener. 

If you have programming background , JLink API will help you. 

However I still like Peter's idea of keeping everything in Windchill and giving access to necessary user. 

lvl_cap
4-Participant
(To:HelesicPetr)

One use case can be progressive transition to other PLM or other software.

HelesicPetr
22-Sapphire I

Hi @lvl_cap 

In your case you need to develop own function that move the primary CAD file to another system. 

PetrH

cgautier
17-Peridot

You can check the Import/Export Management, that has this Export product structure with CAD documents option.

How to reuse + automate would be full customization.

KR,

Charles.

cgautier
17-Peridot

Hello lvl_cap,

What is the business use-case and requirement here?

CAD data gets first created in CAD tools. And then get checked-in into Windchill so everyone has access to 'up to date' information. That's what Windchill is made for.

Pulling CAD data out of Windchill will make it pretty quickly potentially 'out of date'.

KR,

Charles.

lvl_cap
4-Participant
(To:cgautier)

Hello, 

the use case is simple for now we have a Creo structure in an existing Windchill system and we want to export it to import it in another system/PLM (whatever the target system now), but we want to trigger, do the export for another system/middleware for now from a user that have a list of type, name revision for example.

Regards.

Announcements

Top Tags