cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

is Windchill Windows based or Unix based

DennisRehmer
8-Gravel

is Windchill Windows based or Unix based

To all,

We will be switching to Windchill in the near future and someone work with has a question I don't know the answer too.

The question is whether Windchill is a Windows based or Unix based system.

Dennis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A number of software accomodations for *NIX will be in Creo Parametric for a while. It no longer depends on it, but the marks are still there.

The *NIX OSs never developed a unified user interface so developers had to create their own requesters and menuing systems to avoid customizing for each *NIX version. When Microsoft developed a new windowing OS PTC did not develop an entirely separate version of its interface just for that.

The good thing is this means that the interface doesn't work exactly the same as Windows (though it may act very much the same) and that's also the bad news. Typically, in Windows programs, using the File/Open requester means not being able to select any other menus until that requester is closed. PTC's version doesn't block the user, which is good if there's a mis-click. And it lets PTC build in other features, like it;s own Favorites. The bad news is that external programs can't see or use the requesters, so harder to use AutoIt and it's like. This would make a great Ask the Developer topic.

The other thing that hangs around is that *NIX uses file header information to determine file type, while Windows uses the suffix. Developed for *NIX, it didn't seem that bad an idea to suffix files with a version number, while in Windows this just makes it all a painful experience. Ever double-clicked on an information file that Pro/E made and have Windows start loading Pro/E? For a text file the Pro/E can't hope to open anyway? Check the Registry - .1 to .999 are all registered suffixes to open Pro/E with.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Also, am being asked in Creo is Windows or Unix as well.

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:DennisRehmer)

Once upon a time it was Unix based, and I believe somewhere in the depths of the software it is still Unix, but as far as I know it is only available for Windows based system now. Maybe Linux too?

Linux support was dropped around ProE WF 4.0, if I remember correctly. WF 5.0 was supported also on Solaris but with Creo I see only Windows versions are available for download. If there is HP-UX or Solaris version available, it's not very straightforward.

A number of software accomodations for *NIX will be in Creo Parametric for a while. It no longer depends on it, but the marks are still there.

The *NIX OSs never developed a unified user interface so developers had to create their own requesters and menuing systems to avoid customizing for each *NIX version. When Microsoft developed a new windowing OS PTC did not develop an entirely separate version of its interface just for that.

The good thing is this means that the interface doesn't work exactly the same as Windows (though it may act very much the same) and that's also the bad news. Typically, in Windows programs, using the File/Open requester means not being able to select any other menus until that requester is closed. PTC's version doesn't block the user, which is good if there's a mis-click. And it lets PTC build in other features, like it;s own Favorites. The bad news is that external programs can't see or use the requesters, so harder to use AutoIt and it's like. This would make a great Ask the Developer topic.

The other thing that hangs around is that *NIX uses file header information to determine file type, while Windows uses the suffix. Developed for *NIX, it didn't seem that bad an idea to suffix files with a version number, while in Windows this just makes it all a painful experience. Ever double-clicked on an information file that Pro/E made and have Windows start loading Pro/E? For a text file the Pro/E can't hope to open anyway? Check the Registry - .1 to .999 are all registered suffixes to open Pro/E with.

Windchill is actually Java-based You can install it either on Windows platform or Unix. If you search Windchill community you'll also find posts of people, who succesfully ran Windchill on Linux (CentOS, to be specific). The installer comes with both versions and install script determines which environment it is and installs version correct for given platform.

Hi Dennis,

I've moved this thread to the Winchill Community.

You can find a list of the OS's that Windchill can be installed on in the software matrix reference document:
http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/156056/en/Windchill10.2M020SoftwareMatrices060214.pdf

Though, if you're not currently a customer, I'm not sure if you'll have access to the documents. In that case, I've pasted the supported OS's for the most recent Windchill version (10.2) below:

For Production Systems:

• Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)

• Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)

• Windows Server 2012 (64-bit)

• Solaris 10 (SPARC & x64)

• Solaris 11.1 (SPARC & x64)

• HPUX 11i V3 (Itanium)

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (64-bit)

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (64-bit)

• AIX 6.1

• AIX 7.1

Additionally, the below OS's are supported for Development/Test systems: