cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

logging level for debugging CAD check-in

rleir
17-Peridot

logging level for debugging CAD check-in

Team

When checking in a CREO assembly, I am getting:

"Action cannot be completed as it cannot build association with Part that you do not have access to. You must gain access to the Part or the Part must be deleted from the database."

The assembly and nested assemblies seem to all be accessible, and permissions seem to be good. How do I find which nested Part is causing the issue?

I might open up logging to the Info or Debug level,  just for a few minutes, to get some clues.  But it seems that I need to select a logger, and it's not clear what logger to select. Perhaps I will do "log4j.rootLogger=debug".

But which process should I open up?

Some possible files: 

log4jATOVariantLoad.properties
log4jMethodServer.properties
log4jUpgrade.properties
log4jWinDU.properties
log4jIeServer.properties
log4jServerManager.properties
log4jWebApp.properties
log4jWinRU.properties

6 REPLIES 6
ScottMorris
17-Peridot
(To:rleir)

if the CAD you are checking in is not new, you should be able to find it in commonspace and determine what its related part is. then you only need to update access and permissions vs. enabling more detailed loggers for the MS. have you looked at the MS log file? is there more detail in it vs. the Windchill UI?

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

From the Utilities - Server Status popup, you can enable high level logging dynamically but for this case, I do not think you need to. I should be easy enough to track down the Part in question. Assuming you are admin, look at the CAD docs that are new or modified, it should be one of those:

• Part is created in someone else's workspace  but not fully checked in.
  • You can two models that are resolving down to the same Part object. This is common when you check in an assembly and a part model that have the exact same file name. When you drop extension, they collide on the same Part object where both want to be owner. You'll know this when you see that the Part object does not exist but fails trying to create it on the way in.
  • The part is either released, checked out or invisible to the user who is checking in the CAD data.

Another way to work this issue is to check in smaller sets of items instead of all at the same time to narrow down the model causing the check in failure.

rleir
17-Peridot
(To:avillanueva)

Thanks Scott and A.

The Mech Engineer has been creating the 'gear' part manually. I think this should be automatic when the CAD is checked in, as part of 'bottom-up' design: the 'gear' should appear. Yes, I know there is a default to make this automatic, but for me it does not make any difference whether I have to click the check box: the 'gear' does not get created when the CAD is checked in. And we get the above error which does not tell me what I need to know.

Maybe this detail is related: the top-level 'site' Organization has no CAGE code, and I think this CAGE would be the default for new CADs and 'gear' parts. Does it make any sense to have the 'site' Organization without a CAGE code? 

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

It can be created automatically. You need to set this preference at site level:

avillanueva_0-1692100229824.png

Just know that when you allow this, all garbage models will have gear parts created. Queue Facts of Life song. 

rleir
17-Peridot
(To:avillanueva)

In 'Auto Associate' there are several sub-preferences, some of which seem really useful and some less so. What would be the few sub-preferences that can enable the simplest form of creation and update? 

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Aside from ModelCheck options, many of these related to options you see on Check In screen. Click next to see more. These preferences set the defaults for that operation or when you use auto-check in, the options are set as defaults. You are always able to change them from the defaults. 

Top Tags