cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

possible to assign document as two different types

MarkFoose
1-Newbie

possible to assign document as two different types

When adding documents to Windchill, a document type must be chosen.  This "type" designator controls how the document

can be associated tgp WTParts.  I have a need to associate a document to one WTPart as a "described by" document,

but to another WTPart as a "Reference" Document.  Is this possible? If so, how?

4 REPLIES 4
bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:MarkFoose)

You may be referring to the fact that by default, only the WTDocument soft-type of "Reference Document" can use the "Reference Document Link" association type to a WTPart.

You can remove this restriction by changing the value of the preference called:

• Part to Document Association Logic

The default value of "No", then you can ONLY use the "Reference Document" WTDocument type to make a reference document link to a WTPart and you also CANNOT use the "Reference Document" WTDocument type to make a described by document link to a WTPart.

If you change this property to "Yes", then any type of WTDocument can have either a described by or references link to WTPart.

If you have any other Windchill questions, feel free to e-mail me directly at robert.sindelar@eccellent.com.

Changing that preference eliminates some very valuable functionality and should only be done as a last resort in my humble opinion.  Worth really taking the time to understand what Describes and Reference links do.

Yes that is true.

But given Mark's request, and since it is not possible for a WTDocument to be two different types of object simultaneously, and since the default value of the property I listed allows for only one or the other association to be used, this is the first thing I could think of to address this particular request.

Can you explain what particular functionality would be lost using this property, for Mark and my benefit?

Thank you.

Just that it's very helpful to be able to create and use documents for which the latest released is always automatically gathered (from the WTPart) and these are Reference Document type.  One may have for example a document that is linked to dozens or even hundreds of WTParts.  Revising that document and re-releasing it automatically causes the new revision to be selected from each WTPart.  We used this in the past for example for Patent MOI's associated 1:many to WTParts, but assume people could think of many cases where this might be handy.

Users don't "get" the difference when creating documents, so it makes it much easier if:

a) Users are encouraged to always create from document template

b) Document templates are carefully created with the Type (Describing or Reference) selected

Top Tags