cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

"Open in Creo" from browser opens 2nd Creo session

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

"Open in Creo" from browser opens 2nd Creo session

Creo 2

PDMLink 10.1 M050

I have users that sometimes have both Creo open logged into PDMLink and a separate IE browser logged into PDMLink.

If they use the "Open in Creo" in Creo to open another CAD file it will use the existing session.  However, if they do the same thing through IE it will open a 2nd Creo session.

Is there a way to stop that?  I don't want to disassociate the .pha file as a solution because I assume it would remove it from being usable through Creo.  I want to know how to make the "Open in Creo" check if Creo is already running and then use that session.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:STEVEG)

I don't know if anyone saw this but it will be very helpful.

Multiple Sessions of Creo with One Floating License

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I've had similar case back in 2013 - whenever Creo model is being opened from Windows Explorer instead of existing Creo session (by simple double-clicking the file in Explorer), it'll bring up another Creo session (consuming additional license, of course) and that's exactly the behavior you're getting right now. Back in Wildfire days it was actually possible to "insert" new model into existing session but since PTC introduced Creo this ability seems to be lost. I reported this to PTC Support and got the response that this behavior is not part of Creo functionality (even though it was before in ProE).

So now it looks that whenever you open something outside of existing Creo session (like from Windows Explorer or from IE, in your case), you'll get new Creo session. You might of course try to report it as a bug, maybe you'll get more luck than me

On a funny side, Installation Guide for Creo 2.0 still claims that when opening model from Windows Explorer while having running Creo session, the model will be added to that existing session (page 133 of Installation Guide for Creo 2.0 pdf, Appendix C - System Administration Information, Opening Creo Objects from Windows Explorer section).

Lukasz,

Very interesting.  I'll have to review.  As you suggest I will report it to PTC and mention that last part to them.  Thank you.

No problem. I'm very curious what their response will be, so if you could share it afterwards, that'd be great

I will let you know.  I haven't create a call yet because of a few other tasks and I wanted to wait a few days to see if anyone else has solved this.  But I definitely will open it.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:STEVEG)

I don't know if anyone saw this but it will be very helpful.

Multiple Sessions of Creo with One Floating License

Top Tags