cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

re-linking drawings to orphaned parts...

pdkoren
1-Newbie

re-linking drawings to orphaned parts...

I'm new with Windchil, and I hope this is the correct forum. I have inherited a situation as follows...

We havepart A.prt with drawing A.drw all fine and dandy in Winchill 9.1. Then "someone" created a new version of A.prt, called B.prt WITHOUT carrying the drawing along. So I am wondering if there is a simple way to RELINK the A.drw to the B.prt within the context of Windchill.

I think one option would be to export A.prt, A.drw and B.prt. Then do the typical Pro/E relink; open B.prt, rename it in session to A.prt, open A.drw then rename both to B.prt/drw and save. Then I should be able to import B.prt and B.drw back into Windchill.

thanks in advance...

(and apologies if this isn't the correct foum... what would be the correct one?)

1 REPLY 1

This procedure requires the hidden Preference - Save As Replace With Workspace Content to be set as described in TPI 147439.

Procedure

* Check out drawing to an empty Workspace (Part A comes along too)

o The Workspace cannot contain Part B

* In the Workspace select the Part A and do File > Save As

o Change File name and Number to Part B and leave its option as "New" (default)

o Hit Next to get to the Update Parents window, select the drawing and pick the "Replace" option button

o Hit the Finish button

* The Event Manager opens > Select the "Resolve Conflicts" icon (this is where that hidden preference comes into play)

o Leave the Retry Option as "Check Out and Overwrite" (default) > Retry

o In Workspace the drawing and Part B appear as "Checked Out" and "Modified"

* Select Part B > Cancel Checkout

* At this point you can open the drawing in Pro/E and verify that everything's OK

* Select the drawing > Check In

Mike Foster
ATK

Top Tags