cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

what is the purpose of Method server, Server Manager and LDAP Server

ptc-6026219
1-Newbie

what is the purpose of Method server, Server Manager and LDAP Server

Hi Guys,

As usual I tried to start my Windchill my starting the apache server, followed by starting Windchill shell and typing 'Windchill start'. I realized that only server manager started and method server did not start. I check the PTC community and found the solution. I started the LDAP server and reexecuted all the steps and is working fine now.

I still didnt get a clear picture of the Windchill architecture and the purposes of the servers.

Please explain me the purpose of Method server, Server Manager and LDAP Server in windchill application. Please explain the flow between them.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rajeshkumar Balaganesan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can refer the Windchill Runtime Architecture topics in the Windchill Help Center. It also has a nice graphic. Excerpts from the above link:

The Windchill server components include the following:

• The Windchill client
  • The Windchill application server (consisting of the server manager and one or more method servers)
  • An HTTP web server ( default Apache)
  • A Java EE servlet container (Tomcat)
  • A relational database server (Oracle or SQL)
  • An LDAP server (Windchill Directory Server)
  • Windchill Index Search powered by Solr (optional)
  • A reverse proxy server (optional)
  • An authentication server such as SiteMinder (optional)

The server manager has two main tasks:

• Start up and monitor the method servers
  • Manage cache propagation between method servers and throughout a cluster (if you have set up a clustered environment).

To bring Windchill online, you start the server manager. The server manager starts and registers the method servers it is to monitor.

The method servers are the core of the Windchill application. They manage the interactions between objects and enforces behavior and business rules.

Your Windchill server configuration can include one or more method servers.

The LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) directory server maintains user and group information for Windchill as well as internal system groups. The directory server also contains Info*Engine configuration information.

You can go throught the sub-topics in the link provided above.

Hope that helps.

Regards

~Syed

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Procedure to start Windchill.

step 1: Strat the services

OracleInstance Service and Listener Service

step 2:

Start apache server.

Step 3:

Start Windchill directory server it will ask the ldap password .

Step4 :

Start the method server.

When we start the method server ,both server manager and metod server will start .

it will take some time to start (10 mins min)

Step 5:

open the windchill using url

You can refer the Windchill Runtime Architecture topics in the Windchill Help Center. It also has a nice graphic. Excerpts from the above link:

The Windchill server components include the following:

• The Windchill client
  • The Windchill application server (consisting of the server manager and one or more method servers)
  • An HTTP web server ( default Apache)
  • A Java EE servlet container (Tomcat)
  • A relational database server (Oracle or SQL)
  • An LDAP server (Windchill Directory Server)
  • Windchill Index Search powered by Solr (optional)
  • A reverse proxy server (optional)
  • An authentication server such as SiteMinder (optional)

The server manager has two main tasks:

• Start up and monitor the method servers
  • Manage cache propagation between method servers and throughout a cluster (if you have set up a clustered environment).

To bring Windchill online, you start the server manager. The server manager starts and registers the method servers it is to monitor.

The method servers are the core of the Windchill application. They manage the interactions between objects and enforces behavior and business rules.

Your Windchill server configuration can include one or more method servers.

The LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) directory server maintains user and group information for Windchill as well as internal system groups. The directory server also contains Info*Engine configuration information.

You can go throught the sub-topics in the link provided above.

Hope that helps.

Regards

~Syed

Rajeshkumar,

Did Syed answer all of your questions on the functions of the Method Server, Server Manager, and Directory Server? Let us know if you have any further questions.

Chris,

Syed answered all of my questions.

Thanks and Regards,

Rajeshkumar Balaganesan

Top Tags