cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

windchill autonumber and "save as" in creo incompatible?

mbundock
1-Newbie

windchill autonumber and "save as" in creo incompatible?

We are preparing the way to implement Windchill and Creo 2.0 in our business but I (possibly we) are struggling to understand the best way to proceed ref autonumbering.

We've been storing cad models and corresponding drawing files with the same filename (less extension obviously) so that doing a "Save as" in creo creates a new model and drawing pair (given appropriate config.pro settings).

With autonumber turned on in windchill doing a "save as" in windchill on a drawing and model pair creates a drawing and model with different numbers albeit they are dependant objects. The filenames we'd set to be the same as the numbers and so are also different.

If a "save as" is done in Creo 2 with the same model and drawing pair where the drawing and model have different autocreated "numbers" creo doesn't treat the files as a pair i.e. we've lost a chunk of the "save as" functionality within Creo 2.0 .

This is making it feel like autonumber in windchill and "Save as" in creo are incompatible if we're seeking to avoid manual renaming of filenames.

Hopefully I've made that clear enough ... are we doing something odd here? is there a secret setting to fix it?

thanks for reading

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:mbundock)

I don't think there is a way around this since the rename_drawings_with_object stipulates that the drawing name must be the same as the model name in order for the drawing to get renamed with the model within Creo.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

save_as_matrix.jpg

just posting this to clarify the question. Given the lack of response I'm assuming there is no fix for this.

Mike

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

I don't think there is a way around this since the rename_drawings_with_object stipulates that the drawing name must be the same as the model name in order for the drawing to get renamed with the model within Creo.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but I'm running into the same problem. To be clear, there is no way to do a Save-As in Windchill and have the auto-generated numbers (and File Names by extension) match?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I know this is an old post, but I just tried this with Creo 3.0 and Windchill 11.0 M030 and the config option "rename_drawings_with_object " now works the way the original poster asked for it to.  The duplicated part was automatically given a new name and the drawing then used this same name (with different file extension of course.)

Original Objects:

Creo Save As Before.png

Newly Created Objects (after file save-as on just the part):

Creo Save As After.png

Top Tags