cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Licensing model: users versus instances

JonathanHodgson
11-Garnet

Licensing model: users versus instances

Here's a fundamental question to PTC: why should I require two licences in order to run two instances / sessions of Pro/E on the same computer? Other than the obvious "to make more money out of me", of course.

As a company it appears that we're currently approaching our maximum number of licences in use, and it's been pointed out that several users have more than one licence. It's something I've done myself on occasion, for various good reasons.

How is this justified; and might we see a change in the future? Altair Software, for instance, only charge one set of licence 'points' for Hypermesh, no matter how many instances one user starts on their machine.

Apart from anything, it's currently the only way to utilise a multi-core processor with Pro/E...

It seems to me that few users will persuade their companies to stump up for extra licences just so that they can run two sessions sometimes; so what this actually achieves is reduced productivity and mildly frustrated users, rather than any more revenue.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags