cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

pro/report parameters in model

rustys
11-Garnet

pro/report parameters in model

is there a way to get paramters such as asm.mbr.pipe.stock.name into a note or a relation in a model?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There are ways to get this information into a drawing note. It's not the easiest or most straightforward thing but it's usually possible.

You can get LINE STOCK parameters to show up in your drawing notes but you have to set an assembly relation to make it happen. You have to use the ":FID" option to specifically tell Pro/E you're interested in pulling data from a parameter within a feature of your model.

In your model tree, turn on yoru FEATURE ID column. You'll need it for the next step.

Set a new model relation that looks like this:

<parameter_name> = <linestock_parameter>:fid_<linestock_id>

<Parameter_Name> is the name of your new model/assy parameter.

<Linestock_Parameter> can be any linestock parameter including:

• Thickness
  • OD
  • Name
  • Stock No
  • Material
  • Grade
  • any other user defined parameter within your linestock

<Linestock_ID> is the ID number of the linestock from your model tree. Alternately you can name your linestocks and use :FID_<Linestock_Name>

For example:

my_stock_thickness = thickness:fid_12

This would set a variable called my_stock_thickness equal to the thickness of the linestock with ID number 12 (assuming there was such a linestock).

I'm not 100% certaion of the line stock name variable. I believe it's just "name" but I could be wrong. One you have your variable set (like the my_stock_thickness variable in the example above), you can use it in a note just like any other parameter.

Sorry... I know this is convoluted but this is actually the recommended PTC technique. You can also use your custom variable in any relations you might need. If this isn't clear, write back. I know it's a bit muddy.

Thansk!

-Brian

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

There are ways to get this information into a drawing note. It's not the easiest or most straightforward thing but it's usually possible.

You can get LINE STOCK parameters to show up in your drawing notes but you have to set an assembly relation to make it happen. You have to use the ":FID" option to specifically tell Pro/E you're interested in pulling data from a parameter within a feature of your model.

In your model tree, turn on yoru FEATURE ID column. You'll need it for the next step.

Set a new model relation that looks like this:

<parameter_name> = <linestock_parameter>:fid_<linestock_id>

<Parameter_Name> is the name of your new model/assy parameter.

<Linestock_Parameter> can be any linestock parameter including:

• Thickness
  • OD
  • Name
  • Stock No
  • Material
  • Grade
  • any other user defined parameter within your linestock

<Linestock_ID> is the ID number of the linestock from your model tree. Alternately you can name your linestocks and use :FID_<Linestock_Name>

For example:

my_stock_thickness = thickness:fid_12

This would set a variable called my_stock_thickness equal to the thickness of the linestock with ID number 12 (assuming there was such a linestock).

I'm not 100% certaion of the line stock name variable. I believe it's just "name" but I could be wrong. One you have your variable set (like the my_stock_thickness variable in the example above), you can use it in a note just like any other parameter.

Sorry... I know this is convoluted but this is actually the recommended PTC technique. You can also use your custom variable in any relations you might need. If this isn't clear, write back. I know it's a bit muddy.

Thansk!

-Brian

that worked perfectly. i never new you could call up the FID in piping.

Excellent... glad that worked for you!

Since you seem to already recognize the :FID thing, maybe you can also use this piece of information. There's an ":att" extension you can use to interrogate piping members through your drawing notes.

To explain... in regular Pro/E drawing mode, if you set a drawing note to attach "on surface" (with a filled dot for example), you can pull a parameter assigned to that surface using the format &<parameter_name>:att_surf

Pro/E will look at the surface you've attached the note to... and then look for a <parameter_name> assigned specifically to that surface. Obviously most people never assign a parameter to a surface, but you certainly can. You can also assign a parameter to an edge and grab it within a note using the format &<parameter_name>:att_edge

There are other ":att_" functions you can use in regular Pro/E. There's also one more interesting one for use only with piping members... &<parameter_name>:att_bend

If you set your spool to create parameters on each bend, you can pull those parameters into notes using this format. I've actually used these before but I can't recall the scenario at the moment.

Good luck!!

-Brian

Top Tags