cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Suitable Laptop For Creo 3.0 Student

dweir
1-Newbie

Suitable Laptop For Creo 3.0 Student

Hi First time poster.  I have recently started university and Mechanical Engineering.

Our CAD module of the course involves using Creo, to which I have no previous experience of using.

I am looking for any recommendations for a suitable laptop to run this software.

Many Thanks

Derek

2 REPLIES 2
pzago
5-Regular Member
(To:dweir)

If you don't want to buy a laptop with a dedicated Quadro card (like mobile workstations from HP or Dell) then you'll have to go with a consumer graphics card like GeForce (I talk about nvidia only because I have no experience with AMD but it's the same). If your laptop has a discrete card (i.e. not integrated) then you should be able to do most work easily. As far as my experience is concerned I used Creo on a laptop with integrated Iris intel graphics card (Macbook pro under parallels emulation) and performance were good in shaded mode, not very good in wireframe (which is sometimes true also with GeForce). With older Intel cards (4000) I had issues with drawings.

Not just for Creo (but particularly important if you're going to work with anything other than simple parts and small assemblies), check the CPU of any potential machine against this list, and get the highest score you can sensibly afford:

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - Single Thread Performance

Most software (outside some games, and certain applications such as video encoding) are still dependent on the single-thread speed of the CPU so it's worth considering carefully.

Top Tags