cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

2D drawing views/border based on solid geometry

Askin4aFriend
7-Bedrock

2D drawing views/border based on solid geometry

Is there a way to set drawing views to resize the view border based on solid geometry?  I've searched high and low and have not been able to find a solution so I decided to start a new thread. 

The problem: when creating new views on a drawing Creo bases the size of the border on hidden geometry (surfaces or curves).  This often effects an entire assembly because of master surface references or sketches that are much larger than the part.  

For a long time we've just clipped the view border by doing "partial view" and drawing a spline, but this is time consuming and not precise.  Defining partial views would be a lot better if it could be done using a rectangle rather than a spline.  I'm trying to streamline our process with updated drawing templates, but the huge view borders make using template-defined views unwieldy and can move the actual solid part way off the drawing.

Is there a hidden .dtl option or something that will drive views based on solid geometry? 

6 REPLIES 6
Padfoot
4-Participant
(To:Askin4aFriend)

Did you find a solution?

Constantin
13-Aquamarine
(To:Padfoot)

Hi,

not sure what the problem really is. The actual size of the frame or the resulting placement in the layout via the view origin which might be awkward if the geometry is off the center due to hidden elements.
If it is the latter the option drawing_view_origin_csys might be of interest.

@Constantin wrote:

Hi,

not sure what the problem really is. 

Well, I for one don't know what the problem really is - as in why PTC provided a fix to the drawings module to so as we don't have to deal with this annoying and time consuming process of adjusting the view size to fit the solid geometry.  Or a way to easily clip the view using a rectangle shape.  Or be able to edit the clipping (instead of having to redraw that spline)  Anyway, I know... I should stop complaining and post a product enhancement idea about it.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a solution. My fix was to just create a hot key to be able to clip the views quicker and then I just do that right away when I place a view.  This is not super robust though because if certain things change the clipped view can cut off some of the part.  

@Constantin The problem is that the drawing view borders are not based on the solid geometry of the part. There can be larger surfaces/curves that are either used on the part level or in the master that drives the part, and the drawing view borders are based on the overall dimensions. For example, you can have a small, solid part that is 10mm x 10mm x 10mm, but the master that drives this part has surfaces that are maybe 1500mm in some direction.  When you create a new view in the drawing the view border is based on the 1500mm hidden surface and not the 10mm of the solid part. This makes it really difficult to manage and move the views.  

@pausob I have the same complaints. Ideally there would be a setting to base drawing view borders on solid geometry. But clipping the view with a rectangle would be a big improvement over the spline method. Along those lines it's also driven me crazy that you can't do detailed views with a circle.  

Is there a product enhancement submitted for these ideas that you know about? Referencing them here would be great, I'll go vote on them. It's amazing that Creo doesn't have these functionalities, I would consider them fundamental to a modern CAD system. I seem to be amazed a lot these days as I become more familiar with Creo...

Beating a dead horse here, but I never had these troubles with SolidWorks. It can do everything you're wishing for in your post. Its drafting abilities seem decades ahead of Creo.

Yes, that s@cks and is a PITA, but, why does it matter?  Is it because it FUBAR's your snap lines?  I've found ways around this by having the snap lines reference geometry instead of the view, solves my problem at least, and is WAY better than "splining" the view boundary, and it's STILL parametric with what I want it to be.

Best of luck!

Top Tags